Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smez_gw

Honda mower engine surges/pulses?

smez
17 years ago

I have 2 yr old residential. Can't remember the model but it has the composite deck and hydro drive. One model up from the Harmony, I believe. Great for 2 seasons, however, it now surges and will not idle at all. Runs fine under a load and will idle half decent with the blade engaged. You can see the governor arm moving fore and aft as it pulses/surges. Checked the plug and looks good (no soot or carbon buildup)drained the carb bowl and put in new gas. I run Stabil in the gas. Do I need to check the carb jets or is this an issue with the governor? As far as the idle, it has been like that since new. Also, how can you check the full throttle rpm? Thanks, Smez

Comments (13)

• canguy
    17 years ago

Sounds like a dirty carb. The Honda fuel system needs to be squeaky clean for the engine to run properly. Is your gas fresh? I bet this is the first time your mower has been run this year.

• smez
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah, new gas with Stabil. I drained the carb bowl but did not take apart the carb. Is this difficult for the average Joe? Do you need to disassemble it or can you take off the bowl and get to it? Thanks in advance.

• nevada_walrus
    17 years ago

2 years old, should be the OHC engine. The carbs are EZ but do need removing, your idle ciruit is probably the problem.

Trouble is the OHC carbs are a snake to R&R for the first timer.

• lawn_dude
    14 years ago

Me and a friend both had this problem with our mower, they would only run on high speed and would pulse or surge at idle. Tried cleaning the carb but that didn't work, tried replacing all the gaskets, no improvement. Bought a new carb from Plano Power Equipment for a whopping $16, along with the governor spring and rod, spent about $31 total. Installed the new carb and it purrs like a kitten, idles, runs on any speed, just like new. I did also move the spring on the lower right that attaches to the governor lever from one hole to another. Seems the carb and associated linkage is very touchy, that's why I replaced the other parts but the carb may have had a clogged jet and I just didn't feel like messing with it so replacing it did the trick for me.

• schewealbert52_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

well i put new gas new factory carb new blades cleaned muffler new plug adjust valves rechecked blade aliment, new air filter. still surges so what now it is a honda harmony 2 .5 years old.

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

albert
    I'm right there with you. I replaced my carb, air filter and spark plug and got it to fire up. However, it's now surging.

I'm going to look at lawn_dude's advice and mess with the springs (wish i had bought new ones and saved some $ on shipping).

I'm also going to make sure my gas cap is venting properly.

I'm just glad fall/winter is here and that my grass has started to go dormant.

• baymee
    12 years ago

Is the blade turning on this model, Albert, or do you engage the blade after the motor is running. If you do, it's not uncommon for the motor to be unsteady without a load. How does it sound with the blade running?

• rosemallow
    12 years ago

Baymee has the right answer. Many BBC units will hunt somewhat with it off.
    As I have stated many times before you can screw in the idle stop and this will resolve a lot of issues.
    Do not adjust the idle jet or you may break it.

• Dusty Burns
    3 years ago

Get carb cleaner and with it running spray the throttle shaft if the idle changes its sucking air around the shaft which is fairly common on many small engines only fix is new carb. Can also dust the engine

• HU-231516327
    2 years ago

should the mower surge after the first use? I only used it one time and now the motor surges

• Mike72
    2 years ago

The main cause of surging is not enough fuel for the engine to maintain the governed setting, so it hunts. Anything that restricts fuel flow can cause this including carburetor not adjusted properly, partly blocked carburetor jets which is the same as a jet being too small, and an air leak in the intake manifold which is the flip side of not enough fuel.

• ssewalk1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Your low speed jet is set to lean , open it up quarter turn . This will richer up the fuel mixture and smooth out the idle. Many of Epa compliant models idled rough after break in .