Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doug5948

Honda Harmony HRM 215 - Removing the14 mm Roto-Stop Assembly Bolt

Doug5948
12 years ago

Hi Everyone. I am the original owner of a Honda Harmony HRM 215 purchased in 1994.

I am in the process of replacing the drive belt. I have removed the blades and am trying to loosen the 14mm bolt that secures the outer roto-stop assembly. The problem is that internal assembly spins when I try to loosen the 14mm bolt. I am wondering if the roto-stop braking assembly is either worn out or in need of adjustment.

I am hoping some kind soul can tell me what to do or point me in the direction of a service manual.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Comments (6)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

I would use an impact, but are you able to remove the engine bolts and position the engine so you can get the belt on w/o pulling the clutch?

• rosemallow
    12 years ago

You need to lock the flywheel. There is a grove in the flywheel and you lock it to the side pin .You have to remove the gas tank and shroud assembly.

• Doug5948
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Guys-

I appreciate your assistance.

I've removed the shroud/gas tank, and recoil starter. I can't figure out how to lock the flywheel. I don't know how to identify the side pin. Kindly give me additional instructions. I would be most appreciative.

Thanks for your coaching!

Doug

• Doug5948
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Guys -

Boy! do my son and I have a newly found respect for folks who repair lawn mowers for a living......The fella on the YouTube video changed a drive belt on a Honda mower in 4 1/2 minutes. How hard could it be? Two things for sure: He knew what he was doing,,,and he was not working on a Honda Harmony HRM 215!!!!!

That said, we are seeking more coaching, We removed the rotostop assembly and took off the drive shaft pulley to install the new belt. We are unable to re-install the drive shaft pulley on the drive shaft with the key in place. The key does not show any obvious deformity. The pully does slide on the drive shaft when the key is removed.

Do we need a new key? Where do we purchase?

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Doug

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Double check the key and slot for debris that may be holding the key out too far. Having the belt tension on the pulley as you install it may also keep it from aligning easily.

• Brandon Smith
    12 years ago

Not sure if this mower is any different than my trimmer but when I replaced the pull start spring on it I needed to stop the clutch from spinning in order to remove a part that was in place prior to it to get to the spring.

All I had to do was stop the piston from moving up and down to 'lock' the reciprocating parts in place. To do this I took off the spark plug then put 1/4" nylon hose in the combustion chamber till I could no longer force any more into the spark plug home. This effectively bound the rotating assembly and allowed me to remove the party easily.

So as long as this mower is like pretty much all other single cylinder lawn equipment, that should do the trick.

PS- don't be afraid of damaging internal parts using tid method. If the puny parts that made up my trimmer withstood this practice, I'm sure a Honda can bear it too. Also if you have no nylon rope, just make sure to use a rope that doesn't have tiny strings that easily come off of it (twine). All though honestly if done debris was kept behind I believe it would just combust with the first stroke and maybe give a bit of a hint of smoke out of the muffler.

HTH.