Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anicee_gw

How far would you go with your push mower?

anicee
12 years ago

I bought a property on 3 acres, part field and part grass. The grass part has trees, slope and ditches. I'm planning to plant a lot of shrubs, trees and flower beds, as well as a vegetable garden. I moved here late in the Summer last year and mowed my lawn with a very heavy and old push mower, big job and it took me 3h30 each time. The grass here grows very fast and at times you have to cut it twice a week.

My budget is limited. My question is...should I buy the cheapest lawn tractor I could get or, considering all the obstables I'm going to have eventually with all my 'plantation', do you think a self-propelled lawn mower could last, considering the acre and a half of grass I have to do?

Are they folks on this forum who mow a considerable amount of lawn with a push mower? and if so what is the size of your land your mowing and for what reason are you using a push mower instead of a ride-on tractor.

Thanks for your input!

Anicee

Comments (21)

• surfmonkey
    12 years ago

I think Toro make one called the Time Cutter and Husqvarna has one called WAW (or it may be Ariens). Both are self-propelled walk behind mowers that cut between a 30" and 34" swath....

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Congrats on your new property Anicee. There are enough factors to make your head spin, but the question first in my mind would be if the grass needs all to be cut in the first place. I've reduced what I mow dramatically on the home place. Better for me and the planet. Cheap lawn tractors can be a headache. The basic HomeDepot Ariens/ Husqvarnas are the better of the cheap ones out there. Yet, one can do real damage by dropping a wheel in hole or striking an object with a blade. So tell us what types of plans do you have for the property?

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

I can't imagine using a push mower with all that grass to mow. Besides, a lawn tractor will be handy for hauling other stuff around the property (mulch, flowers, leaves, rocks, brush, etc.).

Maybe it's me, but I sorta view mowers like I view automobiles: you can get some good deals on used ones, if you are a little flexible and don't mind putting in a little more effort (not everybody is, and there ain't nothing wrong with that).

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Ani: I currently have cut as much grass as you are describing with a push mower . It is not a question of your mowers capabilty but rather of your physical conditioning . I rather agree with Tom's perspective . I would rather spend more on a quality Toro or Snapper Mower than a cheap Sears Riding Tractor . I have recently had Hip Replacment and most likely will require the same for my other hip withn a few yrs (sucks getting old lol ) . I will then most likely buy a quality zero turn model since I will have even more landscaping completed by then and a push mower will be to much of an effort most likely . Hope this was of some assistance , as Tom advised further info would help in more detailed advice Good Luck ...E .

• anicee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your comments. To answer Tom and E., I am planning to make things complicated for me here because I intend to plant many trees and shrubs and flower beds so with a Riding Tractor there would be eventually lots of going around and will still need a good push mower. I was able to do my lawn last year 3 or 4 times I believe (bought my property late in the summer) and it was quite a hard job (slopes, ditches), but then I have this very heavy and very old push mower. I'm confident with a good self-propelled with big wheels in the back...it would make the task somewhat easier....anyway I hope so. I'm limited budget wise this also weighs in my decision.

Thanks again,

Anicee

• Brandon Smith
    12 years ago

I would either get a nice zero turn (bug stuff/open areas) and a nice push mower (close quarters/detail work) or a nice lawn tractor and push mower/self propelled heavy duty trimmer.

You could always pick up used equipment on craigslist. Im not very familiar with 0turn and some of the more HD equipment but I do know that Honda makes good home use/commercial use equip.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Bsmith : Good Post I concurr , most Zero turns are stoutly built compared to utility garden trators . Buying a reputable manufacturer second hand and using a pushmower for confined areas make a great deal of sense.

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

1/2 acre is pretty much the cut-off for a 21" lawn mower - you need a rider. You will probably have to use your old mower on the steep slopes/ditches.

• bluemower
    12 years ago

concerning the push mower...

most of the push mowers from department stores (Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware) are light duty and most likely will only hold up for a couple of years on those three acres. The same manufactures offer better quality mowers that are usually available from Mower Shops. The rear wheel drive mowers will always give better traction when mowing uphill.

In your situation, My guess is the Snapper would be one of the best choices because the rear disc drive works better on the hills. The HiVac and Ninja have the good rear drive along with the commercial line. For field grass, I would select a model without the bag.

If you only had smooth grass, the Toro Super recycler would probably be a good choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snapper Ninja

• baymee
    12 years ago

I believe you'll quickly regret trying to cut so much acreage with a pushmower. Unless you have alot of time and energy on your hands.

A cheap rider will have to be replaced every few years and compared to a more expensive quality rider, it's false economy.

Think of it as an investment and borrow the money if you have to and make longer payments. Nobody regrets buying a quality tool.

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

I have been using a sitdown for about 10 yrs, My yard is on a slope that was a PITA to mow with a push mower. I like to tinker with engines and such, so I get by on free equipment that I get running. The latest mix is the best yet. I have my sitdown that started life as a '77 IH Cadet 80, I have a 21" Lawnboy push as a trimmer and a Toro with a 4 stroke Suzuki I use for keeping back the jungle . I have them to a level where I spend more time using them than I do keeping them going. What used to take me 3 hrs of side hill mowing when push mowing or walk behind with a 21" is just under an hour with the 36" twin blade deck going up and down . I use the spare 2 hrs to make my life easier. That is how I handle yard maintenance. Mixing chores with my hobby. I recommend getting the best sit down you can afford, get a manual for it , and keep it out of the weather. Then post your questions here.

• Patgardener
    12 years ago

Like many others I've gone as far as you with a push mower. It's futile, even the very best simply isn't built for such rigors. To be honest, on a wet day the deck might need cleaned every half-hour just to maintain a rough cut. That amounts to time, grime, filth, and stench. Plus the mess on a tarp or whatver/wherever you use to clean over.

I'd consider a really nice garden tractor, semi-commercial zero turn, or even a commercial walk-behind. The latter of the three is most versatile regarding slopes and grades but without experience you can still get into trouble. A garden tractor that can take ground-engaging equipment would depend on other intended uses but you might like the option of a tiller or snow plow? ZTR's are difficult to shop these days with so many options. Many are not very rugged although they easily clone those that are. One I've seen sold as a "homeowner" unit for 3K is the 48" Z-Beast at HDepot. A friend bought one on my recommendation for his 4 acres+ (I've done commercial mowing since the 80's). It's not as beefy as it's "commercial" counterparts but for the price I'm overwhelmingly impressed. I honestly am on the verge of replacing a 52" commercial walk-behind having sampled his several times. It's stout and nothing we compared in the price range is close. But again, like a tractor, slopes and ditches aren't as easy. You'll always need a good trim mower and string trimmer. You can always mount a string trimmer to a rider to hit problem areas while you're there. Same holds true for a large walk-behind but not as easily or comfortably. You won't do well trying that with a push sized mower.

Whatever you choose, even the primo commercial Honda "push" and it's commercial counterparts aren't built for what you're doing. It's overkill. You'll be far more satisfied with machinery that matches your useage. Better job, less fatigue, free time left over.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll find something more suitable. As someone previously stated, try to consider it an investment. Shiny new junk turns into rusty old junk fast, harsh conditions expedite the process.

Pick something worth keeping and post a picture of the lawn, beast of burden, and happy smile.

• RpR_
    12 years ago

If you are going to use a push-mower, get one with the large diameter rear wheels.
    I have one at one of two lawns I have to mow, fifty miles apart
    I have used a myriad of various push mowers, the new ones are pathetic compared to those of even fifteen years ago, and when I bought an old lightly used mower with the large wheels, it was better than any of the few self-propelled I had ever used at home or work.

We have several dealers here in my area of Minn. that have dozens of used mowers.
    It is your choice but I would get used ones.
    I have to mow a very steep hill, at the other lawn. In the twenty plus years I mowed it, I fell down twice before I learned to take off my shoes.
    Ariens makes good producets, stay as far away as humanly possible from Husqvarna, but it takes me thirty minutes longer with my new Ariens than it did with my very old MTD.
    I HUGELY regret not simply putting a diffent engine on the old one.

• speedlever
    11 years ago

Late to the game, but this might be the best solution for your mowing needs:

I just discovered them today and am suitably impressed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Better Outdoor products

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

Bump :D :D!!!!!!!!

• tooltime79
    11 years ago

I have a city lot that is 100ft wide by 160ft deep. I'm sure that's close to about 3/4 of an acre. I have a lot of landscaping and berms.

Last winter I was in the market for a new snowblower as transmission went out on my old one. I purchased a new Snapper 12HP unit. On impulse I also purchased a rear engine Snapper riding mower with the triple bagger with a 12HP Briggs and Stratton engine.

I've probably used the rider 10 times and now just use the push mostly. You cannot get around the trees. You cannot get close to the landscaping. It takes up a lot of room in the garage.

If you enjoy mowing and don't mind the time you are spending, why not just get a really good walk behind unit?

I see that Toro is selling a 28" walk behind now for around $800.

I would suggest that you use hearing protection if you are going to expose your hearing to a mower for 3+ hours a week however.

• tooltime79
    11 years ago

I'm sorry, the machine I mentioned is the Toro Timemaster 30" cut and it's around $1100

Here is a link that might be useful: Toro Timemaster

• andyma_gw
    11 years ago

16000 sq feet is less than a 1/2 acre,

• andyma_gw
    11 years ago

16000 sq feet is less than a 1/2 acre,

• evdpgh
    11 years ago

"I have a city lot that is 100ft wide by 160ft deep. I'm sure that's close to about 3/4 of an acre."...Andyma is correct. An acre contains 43560 square feet so an 100 x 160 square foot lot is a little more than a third of an acre.

• tooltime79
    11 years ago

Ok guys, settle down it was just a guess. The point was that I bought a rider and didn't really need it.