Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twd13

Honda HRB216TDA Transmission Post Mortem

twd13
12 years ago

In the off chance it might help somebody in the future, I'm going to briefly document my transmission repair.

Background: 10 year old HRB216TDA. Most everything still original parts (cables, drive belt, transmission, wheels)

Symptoms: Wheels lacked drive. They would turn when the mower

was lifted off the ground but would not pull the mower under load.

Results: Tried the easy stuff first: Adjusted cables. Then replaced drive belt and cables. Symptoms continued. Purchased transmission online relatively cheaply ($125 shipped to my door and spent a better part of a morning removing the old one and replacing it with the new one. Got it all back together and it works like a champ.

Recommendations:

1. Find the parts list online. It helps to reference that to figure out the order to remove and replace parts.

2. Use a good pair of snap ring pliers. There are two between each wheel and the deck that you'll need to remove to be able to get the transmission (with axles attached) out. There's also a 3rd snap ring inside the deck that holds the height adjustment lever and the metal sleeve that helps to hold the axle. You'll need to remove that one from the side that has the longer part of the axle to be able to angle the transmission out of the mower. This one is a little larger than the others, so you may need a different set of snap ring pliers for it.

3. For getting the spring reattached to the transmission, I wore heavy leather gloves and eye protection and used a couple of heavy duty zip ties to lever the spring back on.

4. Make sure you don't lose the small springs or the slot keys that make sure the pinion gear works correctly.

5. The slot keys go in such that the flat side is up. Also, the pinion gears go in such that the key acts to stop it from rotating toward the front of the mower.

Post Mortem: I took apart the old transmission to see if I could figure out what the problem was. It appears to me that there are two plastic discs that are part of the clutch assemble that wear over time (they appear melted) that causes this problem. For the most part, the gears themselves showed very little wear. The first ring gear (attached to the drive worm gear) showed a bit of wear.

I've posted some pictures. I hope this proves useful to somebody.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some pictures.

Comments (8)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Very cool. It has been several years since I've pried open a Honda trans. Could you post pics of the plastic discs? Thanks for the update.

• twd13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pics are there now. Sorry it took a while to get them uploaded.

• twd13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

P.S. @tomplum: Thanks for the help earlier with the gear and key.

• lbpod
    12 years ago

How much of a job would it be to replace
    the plastic discs? I wonder if they are
    available. If so, I'm hoping the repair
    would be less than $125. Thanks for posting.

• rosemallow
    12 years ago

I have never seen any replacement parts for the TDA transmission.
    I have posted how to save these transmissions because they leake oil and go dry.
    And this ruins the plastic pieces first.
    I love Hondas , but the transmission is made in France and is lousy.
    The problem is that the vent gets clogged then the pressure builds up and the only way to relieve the pressure is for the oil to leak out.

• Brandon Smith
    12 years ago

What's kind of funny to me is that the timeframe your mower (and mine an HRT2162TDA) is also the same timeframe Honda released the newly redesigned 2001 Civic and that over the few years from release, were also found to have a poorly engineered transnission. The clutch packs in the auto Civics of that vintage had very small/weak clutch packs and quite often (by Honda standards) failed after a few years. Actually the problem was so common that in the Civic/Honda consumer community it was very rare to find an owner of one that had a car with over 100k miles that still had a tranny from the factory/the one it left the plant with!

I seem to be in the minority of civic owners and. HRT216 owners as I not only have a mower with the factory transmission but I also owned a 2001 Civic with ~150k miles on it and the OE transmission!!!

Not too relevant or helpful but a fact some may find interesting.

• cseyer
    11 years ago

Great post, Thanks!!

My Honda is similar vintage, transmission still good But wouldn't release the gears pulling backwards. Pulled apart the gears and lubed and now as good as new. Your pictures were a big help.

• rager_w
    11 years ago

"The problem is that the vent gets clogged then the pressure builds up and the only way to relieve the pressure is for the oil to leak out."

Where is the vent and how to clean it? I don't want my 3 yr old HXA doing this.