Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trouble Starting TroyBuilt Honda GCV190 Auto Choke/Auto Throttle

Posted by rvmann TX (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 17:46

I have a 3 year old Troy Built mower with the Honda GCV190 auto choke/auto throttle. Last year (2nd year) it ran very poorly/erratic... but it ran/did the job. This year (3rd year) after cleaning air/carb/etc it will start, and it starts with a very solid/as new performance. The choke automatically turns off, and it seems the throttle control tries to open, which together seems to kill the engine. I wait a minute, set choke, and it cranks right up nicely, then choke off, throttle auto opens, and kills engine. Extremely frustrating. What might be causing this and how can I resolve the root cause? Welcome helpful suggestions. Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trouble Starting TroyBuilt Honda GCV190 Auto Choke/Auto Throt

Did you do a quick clean of the carb or did you pull it and remove the jetting in the stem? That may be the culprit if you haven't. Mounting gaskets and spacers need to be sealing and in the right order. Fuel needs to be fresh as well. In your opinion, does the choke come off at the proper rate?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here