Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mccorma_gw

Poulan Mower Sold at Costco?

mccorma
18 years ago

Anyone have any experience with the Poulan Pro currently being sold at Costco for $329? On paper it looks impressive but I can't find much if anything about Poulan mowers anywhere.

It is a 3in1 design (mulch,bag,chute) rear wheel drive, 6.5hp Honda engine. It also has the variable speed self-propelled feature similar to that seen on Craftsman mowers and others.

It seems impressive but without reading some opinions I'm skeptical. I am tempted to just go with the Toro Recycler with Personal Pace for $40 more as it seems to have great reviews here and elsewhere.

Comments (8)

• tom_p_pa
    18 years ago

Ah ha...Similar features to that seen on Craftsman. You found your answer. You should be proud of yourself. And you should be skeptical...and for good reason.

Poulan Pro is one of those companies sucked up by Electrolux Corp (yes the vacuum company, that is why I said sucked up). Electrolux owns everything else under the sun not related to outdoor mowers.

Electrolux owns Poulan, McCulloch, AYP, Craftsman, Weedeater, Poulan Pro, and Husqvarna. If you go to Sears, you will see how they made the Husqvarna and Craftsman brands identical. Bottom line, they are all one in the same. Yes, lets throw a Honda engine on it so the consumer thinks it is an high end sexy mower. Big deal.

If I was you, I would go with the Toro and stay very clear of the other stuff despite the lure of the Costco discounts.
    The extra $40 is well worth it.

• lawnie
    18 years ago

My local Costco has sold out of this mower but will be getting some more in a week or so.I like the sound of the Honda 6.5 mtr and was wondering if anyone has any info on thr rest of the mower, specifically does it have 1 lever for adjusting height like some of the Craftsman/Husqvarna models or will does it have 4 like the present Poulan models.Neither Poulan or Costco have this model on their websites at the moment but it seems that they are a hot seller at Costco at the moment.

• kbs1265
    17 years ago

Don't know where you get your info, but Poulan and Poulan Pro are both registered products of Briggs and Straton, and also included in that list is Weedeater.

• canguy
    17 years ago

Not B&S LOL. Elux spun off Husqvarna who now own all the lawn and garden and forestry divisions making them the world's largest manufacturer of such equipment. You are probably thinking of Simplicity/Snapper.

• rdaystrom
    17 years ago

Everything in the known universe is ownd by MTD.

• jumpinjimmyb
    17 years ago

MTD owns only the following: Troy-bilt, YardMan, Cub Cadet, Bolens, White Outdoor, Yard Machines & MTD Pro.

AYP, EHP, Husqvarna Outdoor Products does indeed brand it's good as Weedeater, Poulon & Poulon Pro & makes the lion's share of Craftsman Spring/Summer wheeled goods.

Briggs & Stratton recently bought Murray, Snapper/Simplicity and brands their Snappers John Deer to be sold into Lowes.

That's it and that's all.

Just short of the universe.

• montesa_vr
    17 years ago

If you are planning to buy a cheapo mower, all other things being equal, buy a cheapo mower with a Honda engine. Since it is a cheapo mower, it will have a low quality deck, inferior wheel adjusters, and probably a pretty marginal drive system if you buy a self propelled. But at least it will start every time, and you won't have to add oil between oil changes, and it won't be surging one day and running differently the next.

I bought a $200 push mower from Costco with the GCV160 Honda motor (5.5 hp). The mower is adequate. It bags very well, mulches fair, and side discharges not at all. I love the motor. I can buy blades and air filters at my local Wal-Mart.

I don't think I would take a chance on an off-brand self-propelled mower. Toro, Honda, maybe Snapper and Ariens. When the self propelled drive mechanism on a cheap motor fails you can tear the whole thing out and push the mower, but it's heavier.

• HU-87581438565873385034414526
    5 years ago

The dirt bag is just a catch...ALL DUST fogs right back at you. When it is started up, the whole area is fogged, dusty, coughing fits! We thought there must be a hole in the bag...nope, just poor design.