Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
add hose clean out to steel deck

Posted by stansum z5 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 18:12

anyone have experience adding a hose fiting to a steel deck for clean out purposes? I've got a lovely snapper mulcher and I think adding a hoase fitting woul simplify cleaning. Not sure where to locate it and whether a specific fitting is any better than any other.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: add hose clean out to steel deck

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 21:24

Tip the mower with the air filter on the high side and scrape and rinse. You will do a much better job.

o

By me, the Deere dealer has kits for under $10. Many are over $20

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 21, 10 at 6:50

I made my own by welding fittings onto my Wheelhorse deck. It was a hassle dragging out the hose, using it, and the mess it made and I didn't do it long. Probably more of a gimmick than a benefit.

o

They should call it a rust promoter and not a deck cleaner. Using water to clean your machine will take years off of it. Use compressed air.

o

My original Toro had one built in with a flip cap. Using the hose through that little hole would remove some of the loose grass but not much else. Simply flip the machine on it's side or up from the front and hose away. For the really caked in stuff it will take a putty knife.

o

If you use a hose to clean the underside of the deck, run the mower a little after the cleaning - helps dry the water off. I used to do that - now I use my leaf blower.

o

I used my hose clean-out the first year I go my new mower and all it did was cake the grass in! Wont use it again thats for sure...

o

Waste of time and money IMO. A clean-out port won't do as good a job as tipping the mower up and spraying with the hose on a regular basis. If you can't tip the mower, just spray with a hose in front of the right rear wheel while the engine is running and that will do a pretty good job (although you'll still need to scrape with a putty knife at the end of every season).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here