Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brad051

Best bagging self propelled

Brad051
13 years ago

Im in the market for a new self propelled push mower. I plan on bagging year around and only mulching in the spring. So im trying to find a very good bagger that can also mulch good enough for spring. Now i know i will get suggestions on Hondas which i am open to but i have a toro/hurquvanna and a cub cadet/snapper/john deer dealer in town which i would rather buy from instead of Home Depot because they both have very good customer service. As far as drive systems go I can adapt to any with some time. Im just looking for performance and reliability. Some models that i have looked at is;

Toro super recycler($529)

Toro super bagger($629)

Honda hrx smartdrive($599)

Honda hrr ($499)

Snapper hi-vacs (havent priced)

Snapper spv21675 ($399)

Cub cadet w/ castor wheels and honda 190 motor ($430)

Any kind of feedback would be welcomed. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• roadbike
    13 years ago

Toro Super Recycler would be the best choice. It will bag and mulch exceptionally well and will last for several decades if you keep up on maintenance.

• Brad051
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ive had my eye on that one but my toro dealer said that the super bagger would be the better choice. Didnt know if he just wanted to make a few extra bucks off the sale or if it would be the better choice. I know i read something on here that said the kickers reduce bagging by 20% but others say it does great. Thanks for the feedback.

• rdaystrom
    13 years ago

Snapper Hi-Vac is the best bagger. I have several of both and the Snappers outperform the Toro Super Recycler in the bagging department. That's my opinion.

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

The Toro 'Super Bagger' makes use of designs that were tested on various Lawn-Boy models no longer available, like the aluminum-deck 'Insight' models and the 22271 commercial. This hi-dome deck bags and mulches great without any 'disruptors' in the airstream in the housing. This mower is a completely different design from the Super Recycler. Both Toros have the Personal Pace drive which is very reliable and requires basically no operator input. If I were looking for a new one I would be sure to go see in person any mower I was interested in before buying.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

I would recommend the super bagger if you weren't doing both bagging and mulching.

• ukDavid
    13 years ago

What about the drive? I have just about had it with my TroyBilt. It uses a belt that gets tensioned with a lever on the handlebar. It never ever worked properly and I've sworn never to get anything with a belt again. There must be better arrangements out there?

My very first post. Thanks.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

ukDavid - Your post doesn't fit at all in this discussion. Does it belong under another thread???

• wmas1960
    13 years ago

I have been looking at a couple Toro machines with their Personal Pace systems. I think that may be what uk is asking about. I don't know about them but have a lot of praise about them. As I understand, they respond bye biding more drive, the harder you push, other words, sensing your forward momentum and matching that with an appropriate pace. Mechanically speaking though, I. Don't know how they work.

• wmas1960
    13 years ago

OOps! Should read. I have READ a lot of praise

• paulga
    13 years ago

snapper hi-vac for me too. i have the commercial one with the kawasaki down side it is expensive i paid 799.00 + tax it is now 999.00+ tax according to there website mine is almost 3 years old. the cut i get from the ninga blade is second to none,i almost always mulch.motor is very strong it never boggs down even in high grass as long as the blade is sharp. i sharpen the blade every 3 cuts during the growing season.i have 6 blades that i rotate.got to have a snapper no other mower would i consider

• joe_mn
    13 years ago

self propelled means 22" cut? my yard is saddle shape. does not fall away from house. actually rises up the further out you go. so i get a great view of my work. had 22" before. hated the lines from mowing. got a 33" dbl blade walkbehind unit. mulching is subpar. get lines of debris in june from leftover grass. yes i know. mow more often. my yard is 1/2 acre. did take a long time to mow with 22" unit.