Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
steep hill and riding mowers

Posted by tommy2315 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 07 at 20:17

I am trying to figure out what to buy. I have about 2/3 of an acres to mow but I have a sloped hill in the back at about 15-20%. I measured this by using a level and found it to measure 15-17 inches over 4 feet. Is this too steep to use a rinding or ztr mower if I only go up and down the hill instead of across. Would i be better off with a walk behind?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: steep hill and riding mowers

You will find manufactures don't suggest ride on equipment for grades that are anything but mild. I'm sure many have used riders on such a slope, but is it safe for you? Feedback that I've had on ZTRs is that they are very poor in such conditions.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 23, 07 at 11:23

I have slopes like that and I've been mowing up and down over them for 30 years with a riding mower, but never a ztr. It puts a strain on the engine and trans, but I've never felt unsafe.

o

Thanks for the reply wht is the model you are using for the hills.

o

If you have a steep grade to mow one should check into the Gizmow it is designed and engineered to mow hillsides and ditches. It does this by controlling the front caster wheels like a car and then linking them to the rear hydros. In return you get four wheel steering and more control on steep grades. It is the only zero turn mower with a steering wheel. You can find further information at www.gizmow.com or www.dedistributing.com

Sincerely,
Eric Benning

Here is a link that might be useful: D&E Distibuting

o

Regular ZTRs are unsafe on steep slopes. Gizmow is a good choice because of it's steerable front wheels. See the company home page link for Gizmow below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gizmow

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here