Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tekbro

B&S Platinum Series 700 190cc, 128T02-1270-B1

tekbro
13 years ago

Hello there, folks. The last time I posted it was about plumbing. Now that I got that sorted out, I'm starting in on the lawn equipment. Well, I let my Craftsman 917.374541 B&S powered self propelled sit all winter with corn gas in it. I also left it out overnight once and it rained (though I got home in time to bring it back in before it got too wet). In any case, wouldn't you know it-now its mowing time and it won't start! So I tried the usual things-switched out the gas, changed the plug and filter. Still nada. I remembered what a Sears tech told me a last summer-check for water in the float bowl. I'm in the middle of trying to do that now, and I can't seem to find the right size socket to get the brass nozzle bolt off the bottom of the bowl. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if I need a special tool of some sort.

Comments (21)

• rolm
    13 years ago

The bolt should be a 1/2-inch, Use a close-end wrench and hold it on the bolt head with one hand and turn it with the other and that should do it.

• tekbro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, rolm. I just used the "Tridis" method. If dat one don't work then try dis. Eventually, I came around to the 1/2 inch. Thanks for that, though. I used my trusty 3/8" drive standard 1/2" socket. Fit right under there. It's a little trick because the bowl is kind dimpled towards the middle.

• tekbro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Round 2. I removed the jet nut, removed the washer gasket, cleaned the nut with carb cleaner. Cleaned the bowl with carb cleaner. PArtially ubolted the carb from the housing (careful not to remove the springs. Inspected it for gunk. Didn't see much so bolted it back on. Put it all back together. Read on another site about flywheel/solenoid contact. Removed the top pulley housing and fuel tank to see if I could get a better look. Didn't go any further since I don't have a full-up repair manual at my side. Buttoned it back up and tried to start her. Wouldn't start. Keep in mind I bought this less than a year ago, and I've already replaced the spark plug and the air filter. I tried starting her without the air filter on. No Go.

I'm a little shy about spraying starter fluid into the intake-don't want to damage any gaskets or seals. Any thoughts?

• tekbro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, so I went ahead and sprayed a little starter fluid into the intake and then replaced the air filter. Started on the second pull. NOW. What does this mean? I must have spark. I must have air (new filter). Is enough fuel not getting to the carburetor? Why? I completely drained and changed out the fuel in the tank with brand new 87. I seemed to be getting gasoline through all my hoses. When I took the carburetor off (partially), it didn't seem gunked up anywhere. I cleaned the bowl and nut. What else could be going on here?

• tomplum
    13 years ago

Are you getting a good flow through the inlet? Meaning a little stream if you were to pull the bowl off.

• tekbro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gasoline leaks out of the bowl if I loosen the nut under the bowl. But I didn't try starting it with the bowl off, if that's what you mean. I'll try that.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Sounds like the primer circuit is fouled . Have you checked the fuel filter for restriction if installed ? Removed the primer bulb and spray carb cleaner within the circuit . Compressed air or computer aerol duster spray will assist with forcing cleaner and debris out of the circuit . A small tag wire can also help if used carefully . What Tom is asking was fuel running out from the inlet needle valve located above the float within the carb bowl . It would appear so since fuel is within the float . Are you sure fuel is fresh and without debris or water ? Use some (2-ounces) of concentrated fuel cleaner within the fresh fuel and let it sit 20-30 minutes . Then try the normal prime 3-5 times and attempt to restart . Keep the engine idling with primer or choke until the cleaner starts to remove fuel gumming or varnish within the carb primer and main circuits. In the future ensure to use Stabil products when storing the unit for more than 30 days . Ethanol (corn fuel) wreaks havoc . Fuel treatment one a yrs also helps within preventative maintenance. I have used Lucas Top end cleaner / lube for yrs successfully . Recently a forum die-hard RDaystrom (Thanx RD) introduced me to a new product Star*tron available through Walmart which is a terrific fuel enzyme treatment. I have used it on both Diesel and Gas engine units with much success within cleaning and fuel storage issues. Also if Stabil is your choice the marine grade labeled as ethanol grade really is a sound investment , along with using 1 gallon containers (treated) as required .

• tekbro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's the strange thing about this model. I don't think it has a primer bulb. It seems like a lot of other mowers have these. I'm not sure what the equivalent check would be on my engine.

I HAVE NOT checked the fuel filter though. I'll take a look at it. I hear a lot of people talking about the fuel cleaner/stabilizers, too. Haven't tried that yet. But after this experience I think I'll stop somewhere and get some today.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

No, do not run the engine with fuel running out of the bowl... If it has no primer, then you have an auto choke model. This choke plate has to work freely. It will close for your cold start and open as the engine up and runs.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

As I said Prime / Choke assembly circuits along with perhaps the main fuel circuit are most likely fouled . The Filter is if applicable where to start . However Ethanol causes "Most Often" these fuel starvation issues. KISS method 1st 2 ounces fuel cleaner and fresh fuel in the tank. 90 % of the time I dislodge debis or loosen sticking needle valves by tapping the carb body with a plastic handle of a large screw driver once fuel has been treated. Only remove the float bowl in stubborn cases . You can prime the carb by spraying some carb cleaner within the carb intake "venturi" . I sure sleep nights not having ethanol fuel issues up North here lol . Keep us posted.

• tekbro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for you great responses. Boys are down for a nap. Might be a good time to go try it. Still gotta pickup the fuel cleaner, though.

• tekbro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok. I opted for the Seafoam injector/carb cleaner. I also bought Stabil to add to my stored gas.I put a couple of cap fulls of the Seafoam into the gas tank (which is about 80% full). I took the mower outside this time and tried to start her-no start. I sprayed some starter fluid in the intake again and she started on the second pull. It ran for all of 3 seconds and then quickly fell silent. I tried to restart after than and nothing doing until I sprayed more starter fluid into the intake. Started beautifully. Stopped running after about 3 seconds.

PS, I found the illustrated parts list on the B&S website and the Craftsman site. Both were pretty useless for anything except buying parts. What I really need is a service manual. But I could not find the fuel filter. Where would that be located on my engine?

• tekbro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Incidentally, I also called B&S tech support today. They weren't a whole lot of help unfortuately. You folks have all been much more helpful, and we haven't even spoken on the phone to each other! Her suggestion was to "clean the carb and the fuel lines and if that doesn't work, take it to a authorized dealer or service center in your area."

• tomplum
    13 years ago

All 3 holes in the bowl nut need to be clean. It may take a fine wire strand to clean a plugged center hole. You need to know that the float valve is allowing a steady stream of fuel through and that what is coming through is fuel. The choke plate must operate properly.

• tekbro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I took the carburetor completely off and apart. I cleaned every orifice I could find. I didn't have a pipe cleaner or wire, but I had a very small paper clip which I used to gently push through the holes in the main jet. I also picked up a copy of the B&S manual from Northern Tool. I cleaned the carb with carb cleaner last night. I was careful to remove all the washers and o-rings that could have gotten solvent on them. When I got home today I put everything back together. I put sea foam in my gas. I had put Stabil in my gas canister before I refilled the tank today. I tried to start it. It wouldn't start. I removed the plug again. This time, I noticed what looked like kind of a wet oily black substance on the tip of the plug which I wiped off. I replaced the plug and pulled. Nothing. Tried it several more times. Then I re-attached the coil cable to the plug :) and pulled again. Still nothing. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb intake. Two pulled and it started. Ran for about 2 seconds and died. Pulled. Would not start again until I sprayed the intake. Rinse and repeat. It just won't stay running. I thought it was a fuel problem, but I've exhausted everything that I thought would be related to fuel.

• tekbro
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Everyone, thanks for all of your input on this problem. I scratched my head, did all I knew how to do, and following all of your kind and patient advice. Unfortunately, I still wasn't able to get it to run. Two weeks ago, I took my (almost) brand new mower to a fellow that lives a couple of miles from my house. He runs a small engine repair shop/service from his backyard (literally). An hour later he told me to come back and get my mower. He had it in perfect running condition. It now starts dutifully on one or two pulls. Cost: $55.

Based on past experiences with them, I shudder to think what Sears would have charged me to do the same thing he did-or less.

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

Okay, now you have to find out what he did and post it. My guess is still fuel starvation.

• grasscutter123
    12 years ago

Have same engine/mower.. Worked fantastic no problem all summer. Alwasy started with one very easy pull (NO Primer Bulb on this model)
    Got a month of rain in Sept and so mower sat INSIDE Shed (NOT outside) but still very humid and wet everywhere for a month. Just took out mower to mow the grass and exact same problem as above. It seemed like a FUEL filter issue since it would start only sometimes and then run only 2 or 3 seconds.. I tipped mower on side (90 degrees) and started it and it ran fine for as long as I wnated. As soon as i tip it back down the way it should be though it dies. This works wether I tip it 90 degress left or 90 degrees right. What is issue

• homegrown55
    12 years ago

Danggit...I'm mad...No conclusion to this thread and grasscutter got a MONTH of rain in September. Here in Central Florida, I got a month of blistering heat and humidity with NO rain...kind of sick of it really. So boys and girls, after reading this anticlimatic thread...I deduct...Cleanliness is next to Godliness, when maintaining lawn equipment. LATER!

• drosscy
    9 years ago

I had all the same issues with starting a less than 1 yrs old craftsman 700.
    Did all the same home fixes, changed the spark plug, cleaned then replaced the air filter, cleaned the carburetor and fuel lines. Almost gave up. Turns out the kill switch just had some gunk or debris stopping the full contact. When pulling on the operator present bar the cable pulled the switch correctly but with just a slight manual push of the switch, that extra mm made full contact and the law mower started up right away.
    This switch needs to be cleaned annually along with the other maintenance.

• hthompsoncolorado
    8 years ago

You guys sure know a lot about lawn mowers! Thanks for your posts - my B&S 190cc is less than a month old and this morning it won't start. Last time I used it, it died after a few seconds. I'm not exactly Miss Fixit but this thread inspired me, :-)