Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Deere LT 155 Charging problems

Posted by sandrab_gardener 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 21:07

I purchased this mower new 11 years ago and never had a problem until lately. I replaced the battery twice last year and the only way I could start it at the end of last season was to jump it off. I know that something is wrong, so I contacted a forum and I was told to replace the solenoid. Since it was late last year, I thought I would do it first thing this season. It did not help matters. I still had to jump it off to start. While it was running and while the hood was up, a connector to the headlight was off and I connected it and when I did, the mower died -- I jumped it off again and left the cable loose on the headlight. I then took the battery to where I purchased it and it was dead too. I believe something is draining down the battery and the manual does not give a schematic for the electrical system. Can you please tell me something else I can check or if I have to have the tractor store come and pick it up and repair it (and if I did, I would not get it back for a month!) Thank you :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Deere LT 155 Charging problems

Let's first start with a known good battery, clean and secure battery terminals (on both ends), check the fuse and either disconnect the light harness or make sure the wires will not short and pop the fuse. I believe that your solenoid is a 4 pole- correct? 2 small wire and 2 big ones. When the switch is turned to start, one small wire to the solenoid will have power and one ground. The solenoid should be mounted securely. Take a multi-tester and see what is going on. To verify if there is a draw, turn the ignition switch off, remove the negative terminal- hook the meter leads in between the cable and the negative post. A draw will show voltage. To confirm if it is charging, hook up your tester to the battery when it is running wide open. Set on DC scale anything really about 12.6v will indicate a charge. Do the same thing on AC scale. No AC is desirable.

Here is a link that might be useful: deere parts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here