Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selecting a pressure washer

Posted by mowernut (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 26, 10 at 21:30

Is anyone out there familiar with North Star brand pressure washers? I found them at Northern Tools. They appear to be pretty well built machines. Some models are available with Honda's GX engines. I'm looking for residential use, but don't mind spending a little extra if it will last. They also sell their own brand which is called PowerHorse, and are painted blue(100% Chinese.) Any thoughts or experiences with either of these brands?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selecting a pressure washer

I have the NorthStar 13 HP (Honda GX) with CAT pump. Cost approx $1300. Tremendous machine. The engine is the best I have ever used. Great power. Personally, I would not consider anything else besides North star. They have many models. This is really premium quality stuff.

o

Hey zoulas - thanks for your input. To be honest, I had never heard of the North Star brand until recently. I must say though, they appear to be the best built of all I've looked at so far. I am looking at the 3000 PSI with the Honda GX engine. This model has a Comet pump. The assistant at Northern Tool told me that the Comets are made here in the U.S., and the CATs come from Japan. I guess the CATs are more industrial/commercial? Anyway, I have a Honda mower with a GX engine, and those engines can't be beat. Guess I'll just wait for the one I want to go on sale. Thanks again for you thoughts.

o

It's really not an issue as to the name of the PW, be it North Star or something else, it's really what components they use. Cause no one builds all the parts themselves, they simply order the components from different manufacturers and assemble them. So looks for quality components. The Honda GX engines can't be beat and the CAT pumps are second to none. As for them being built in Japan...I doubt it. Comet pumps are still good and save you a bit of money, just take care of it. Remember, go for GPM and not psi as the determining factor between two washers.

o

Thanks for the advice reed nj. The PW I'm looking at is 3000 psi @ 2.5 gallons/minute. Is that about average for that psi?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here