Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help on misfire

Posted by the_0utsider (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 22:36

anyone have a motor that "misfires" like mine?
If i open the throttle, it boggs down and dies.
here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFo4RDzbzo4

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help on misfire

Does it run the same w/ the point box cover off? That cover loose and dancing around can't be a good thing...

o

Oh yes. It does this with the cover on or off. taking it apart i just noticed that the mount for the ignition coil is movable side to side unlike typical current motors.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 11:07

That's for the timing. How about a glowing carbon buildup under the head causing a second spark source? Did you remove the head?

o

i opened it before running and after recoding the video. i cleaned it before i ran it and after there is very little.

o

It's actually simple to properly post the link so everyone can just click on it. Look under the big message field for the 'Optional Link URL' field and drop it there.

Here is a link that might be useful: video

o

Problem solved... turns out the coil is on backwards but somehow it ran....
Also, when i found this motor, it ran fine occassionally. Replacing the coil eliminated random days with no spark.
It all comes down to how did it run when the coil was on backwards?

Thanks !

o

Maybe it was running backwards? :)

o

some tuning later and here is the final product:

Here is a link that might be useful: briggs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here