Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topsiebeezelbub

Today I bit the bullet and...

topsiebeezelbub
12 years ago

Bought a Honda HRR216VYA...way more than I wanted to spend...and followed instructions...I thought...well, the wheels came set way low and my grass was way high, so after a few feet it died, and would not restart. I removed the mulching thingy and raised wheels and after NUMEROUS tries it started again, but I guess the throttle was not all the way on "rabbit", so it fizzled again, and again NUMEROUS tries to start. Had to let it sit for a while to restart. I am the old lady who loved her push-button start Yardman, and now I am the old lady with a sore back. Do you think its performance will improve now that it and I are broken in? or did I get a dud? I read bad things about electric starts and thought this would be an easy starter...pooh.

Comments (10)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Well, I would give it a try when your lawn is more normal and see what you think. One thing I can tell you is many times the mower engine speed is adjusted lower than the proper high speed- which gives you lower power. So, you could put on your sweet old lady smile on your mug and probably sweet talk a shop to adjust it for piece of pie or something. :)

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

Is the fuel valve turned all the way on?

• topsiebeezelbub
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I wiggled that fuel knob a dozen times. I would take it back, but I could never get it back into my car. I used a board to slide it out and down, but it won't slide up. The lawnmower shop was so busy nobody would wait on me, so I bought it a Home Depot. Don't expect any help there...maybe tomorrow it and I will feel all smiles...fingers crossed.

• bill_kapaun
    12 years ago

IF your grass is quite high, mow a narrower swath, going as slow as you need to keep the engine running at high speed.

You probably want to use the rear discharge option if the grass is real tall.
    Mow it, let it sit and "dry" for a few hours or overnight? and then go back and bag.
    You'll fit about 3-4 times as much in the bag before you have to dump it.

• surfmonkey
    12 years ago

Get a friendly neighbor to help you put it back in your car, take it and the receipt back to HD and tell them you want to return it. They will not question you...Take your return money and go back to the lawn mower shop and buy one from them. They will set it up and make sure it works before you leave. if you have a problem after that, most will come to your house to make sure it is working properly.

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

Can you get it to start?

Are you positive that the fuel shutoff valve is turned on?

Try to start it on pavement.

bill_k is correct. Mow when the grass is dry and mow narrower paths.

Lastly, if you ain't happy with it on day 1, you sure ain't gonna be happy with it on day 1,000. Figure out a way to bring it back.

• roadbike
    12 years ago

From your description it sounds like the mower ran fine until it choked up trying to process too much grass. Do the following: 1. Set the wheels as high as possible. 2. Clean out any built up dead grass under the deck. I'll bet there is enough to stop the blade. 3. Cut a smaller swath at a slower speed until the grass is back to a normal cutting height.

• topsiebeezelbub
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, today the grass was dryer, and she started right up every time, so we are friends again. She (I named her Meriko, after an old school friend) does a swell job of hoovering up the prickly leaves under the holly tree, and even chewed up the magnolia pods. The handle is the most comfortable on my hands of any mower I've used. I tend to squeeze down too much and take off like a hot rod, front wheels in the air, but that will improve with practice. Thanks everybody for your help and just letting me vent my initial frustrations.

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

Good to hear.

The honda handles are comfortable.

If you must mow wet grass (we all probably do it from time to time) 1. raise the wheels (higher grass is supposed to be healthier anyway, so I keep mine on highest setting) 2. narrower path, 3. don't mulch (bag or blow the clippings)

• 1saxman
    11 years ago

You may consider getting a discharge chute for it. I had one on a Honda and it was the best side-discharge system I've seen - great distribution of the clippings with no clumping or clogging. You would use this when circumstances force you too cut long/wet grass, or really at anytime you just want to try it. I've lately been doing at least as much discharging as mulching, and on dry grass at a normal cut (1" or less) you do not get piles of clippings that have to be dealt-with.
    When you're really up against it and have to cut tall grass and make a bit of a mess, the strategy is too come back in a day or so and bag it up or just go over it in mulch mode. Mulching or bagging just do not work with wet grass - particularly mulching, as the deck clogs up with grass slime. Years ago, Honda owners coined the phrase 'Green Slime' to describe what the 'Quadracut' mulching system does to grass with more moisture in it than optimum - it produces a paste that clogs the deck and is deposited in the wheel tracks, where it must be manually removed or it will kill the grass. With a discharge chute, you can avoid all that. I'd say its pretty much a necessity with a Honda and should be included with the sale.