Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Only runs on ether

Posted by vkpartking Indiana (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 23:11

I am trying to salvage this old tiller. I have rebuilt the carb. and it still only runs on starting fluid. It also will run if I cover then uncover the intake. I have tried the mixture screw in many different positions. Ieven pulled it all of the way out as the engine ran, no gas came out. What am I missing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Only runs on ether

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 23:17

Can you post the make and model of the engine? Sounds like the carburetor needs to be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned.

o

Note: Besides the carburetor cleaning, also check the breather hole in the gas cap! Also, remove the flywheel cover and check under there for dirt, etc, or a spark plug wire that may have no insulation on it, due to mouse chewing. Clean the rust off the coil legs, and the flywheel magnets, too. Reset the coil to flywheel gap, using a regular business card as a gap setter!
Check for a deteriorated fuel line, as those old rubber lines get soft, and then break apart internally, clogging the carb. Thoroughly clean out the gas tank.

o

"I have rebuilt the carb. and it still only runs on starting fluid"
"It also will run if I cover then uncover the intake."

All this says fuel starvation, either still plugged carb main jet circuit OR badly leaking intake manifold to engine gasket, cracked Intake Manifold?.

By the way, you do not want to continue to run that engine on starting fluid, use gasoline in a squirt can instead.

Walt Conner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here