Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rodgrosse

Toro Suzuki 47P engine ignition module fix

RodGrosse
12 years ago

Member viking427 suggested that someone remove the epoxy that the diodes are encased in. I removed all the epoxy looking for a terminal to attach the positive lead of a NOVA II electronic ignition module. I lucked out. There is a terminal that obviosly is the primary lead to the ignition coil. I soldered a wire to this terminal and connected the other end to the positive terminal of the NOVA II module. Then connected the NOVA II negative terminal to engine ground. To my surprise, the engine fired up on the second pull and has been working perfectly ever since. This only cost me $15 for the NOVA II module. Not $225 for a replacement from TORO. My coil part # is 81-1990 The terminal under the epoxy is on the coil side of the cavity toward the flywheel. Good luck. It really works.

Comments (7)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Ver-r-ry slick. Thanks for posting!

• snuffyinatl
    12 years ago

Wonder if this trick will work on my 10550 Lawnboy? I may have to give it a try...certainly have nothing to lose.

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

How do I obtain this wondrous device?

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

Rod, thankyou for the info. I have had a push Toro, with a Tecumseh 2 stroke. sitting for ages. It needs spark, and I cant justify spending 75$ on a freebie mower. 15 bucks is cheap entertainment however. :D

• HU-566855385
    4 years ago

could you explain in a little more detail to which terminal is the positive? do you have an photos?

• rdaystrom
    4 years ago

Yeah pictures would be awesome.

• rdaystrom
    4 years ago

Using the fix on a Lawn-Boy wouldn't be necessary. Aftermarket coils are available for $15 and work great.