Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wmas1960

New Lawn Mower

wmas1960
13 years ago

I just recently moved into a new home and now have to think about a lawn to mow. The yard is a little less than a 1/4 acre but has a small hill and a low spot that I can envision getting a little damp if there is much rain. I am thinking that, due to the hill, even though it isn't that extreme, rear wheel drive is a plus. Also, I would like self propelled. The big preference that I have is the blade stop feature to have the blade stop when changing a bag rather than stopping and restarting the mower. I see this as a huge convenience AND SAFETY feature. I also envision, at times, maybe wanting to mulch while other times using a bag.

All that being said, my research has been leading me to 2 selections. Both Toro. 20333 Recycler and the 20197 Super Bagger. The 20333 has a $200 savings to it and also has the clean out port which seems as though it might be a valuable feature. The 20197 has better warranty coverage, may be better built and has a Honda Engine rather than Briggs. Not that anything would be wrong with a Briggs (???) am I correct? The 20197 though does not seem to have a clean out port.

I was hoping that someone might be willing to comment on my findings and help me decide between these choices. I see a lot of good praise to both models. Is the Super Bagger (20197) worth the extra $200? Is the lack of the clean out port a real issue to be disappointed about? Lastly, Brigs over Honda and the quality of the deck?

Thanks for all thoughts and guidance.

Comments (3)

• 1saxman
    13 years ago
    1. I have the forerunner of that model which was briefly sold as the Lawn-Boy Commercial 22271. Excellent mower in any mode of operation, the 20197 has the same deck and general design as the 22271, but not the Honda GSV190 commercial engine and sealed-bearing wheels. I do not see the blade brake/clutch as a safety issue at all, because I'm not sticking my hands into the blade area of a running mower for any reason. Besides, the 20197 has a magnetic engine cut-off that doesn't allow starting or running without the bag frame or mulch plug installed, and your hands do not enter the deck to manipulate these mode changes - and obviously the engine will stop once you release the engine control bail anyway. Plus, the Honda engine will re-start quickly and easily after releasing the engine bail to empty the bag, pick up a stick, whatever. I guess I'm simply not a fan of the BBC and consider it a useless 'feel good' add-on.
      The clean-out port is of no importance. All mowers come with instructions for hosing out the deck with the engine running, and it makes just as much of a mess with or without the hose attachment.
      Either model has a thick, tough cast-aluminum deck that will probably out last the engine - maybe two or three engines. I like the sophistication of the Honda OHC engines but the B&S is legendary. However, I definitely would accept the Honda engine to get the 20197.
  • wmas1960
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your reply. I will keep your comments in mind as I move forward. As for safety with the blade stop, I was also thinking of accidents that can pop up or something getting kicked out of an open chute. It does make sense to have a kill switch on the bagging chute for when it is removed from the mower. Not doubting your knowledge but it raises a question though. Toro's website describes the blade stop feature as being convenient in that it allows for emptying the bag or moving objects without a need to turn off the mower and restart it. Thet just seems odd that they would have a kill switch on the bagging chute when equipped with this feature???

• wmas1960
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, also good to hear that the deck is similar in quality on the 20333. I thought I read that they weren't as good. I won't feel as bad if My budget will only handle the lesser models. One store that I was at today only had the 20330, 331,332 and 334. Around here, it seems that I might be getting a little early of a start. The dealers that I spoke to today only had leftover stock from last year and haven't brought all that out yet. I definitely have some time to look everything over.