Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mower Blade

Posted by brirute PA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 0:01

Talking at work today about lawns and mowing, and such. One guy was saying he has a Craftsmen 3 in 1 push mower. He said his mower came pretty much assembled and the blade was installed upside down. He says the blade has GRASS SIDE etched in it. While the GRASS SIDE of the blade was facing the ground, the cutting edge was not in the proper orientation. The cutting edge was up towards the deck and was not the leading edge.

I am not an expert as I have an older MTD yard machines with side discharge but shouldn't the leading edge of a blade always be the sharpened edge???

He also mentioned he went into SEARS and checked replacement blades and noticed they are all the same way.

Anyone else run into this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mower Blade

When ya have yer mower blades manufactured by folks on the opposite side of the world, things tend to be made in a different orientation--i.e.: Left is right, right is left!
JMHO! Rusty J.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 11:17

The beveled edge of the blade always faces UP, but you're saying the cutting edge is not in the correct rotation when you pull the rope?

I know that the Scotts blades are backwards....

o
Mower Blade

baymee,

Yeah, when he pulled the rope, the dull edge of the blade is the leading edge. Not only that he said the "wings" on the mulching blade were down not up.

o

Maybe it came from Australia?

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 11:17

In that case, he should use a Scotts blade. Maybe that's what's on it to begin with..... Maybe somebody installed the wrong blade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here