Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Deere problem

Posted by downsouth Zone 7 - GA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 0:28

My riding John Deere mower won't start. It sounds like it wants to start, but it doesn't. My wife said I flooded it, so I waited a few hours and tried it again, nothing.

Things I have done:

1. I siphoned out the old gas and put in new gas.
2. I replaced the spark plug.
3. I replaced the fuel filter.
4. I recharged the battery (even though it sounds like that's not the problem, but I'm not sure.)
5. I checked around the blades for any obstructions and nothing.

Any suggestions for anything else to try? Should I buy a new battery?

Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Deere problem

I had a similar problem. My lx176 would turn over but not start even with starter fluid. I had to take it to my repair shop they got it running and said the problem was two thing: bad battery an seat safety switch was bad. Runs great now.
Good Luck...
Jim

o

Jim, I'll try a new battery tomorrow and let you know. I have the 115 automatic.

Bill

o

Our son came over and he said "oh, I know what the problem is." He said there's a little hole in the gas cap that could be clogged." We cleaned the little hole and it started right up. Hope this will help someone else whose mower wants to start, but won't. Just something else to check.

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here