Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medic504

John Deer L130

medic504
16 years ago

I have a jd L130 with a bad transmission. Does anyone know if any other Tuff Torq trasmissions will work on it other than the K46?

Comments (13)

• fix_it
    16 years ago

I can not answer your question, but I am interested in what the answer may be. I have an L118 that had the hydrostat fail at approx. 175 hrs. It was replaced under warranty (yes I do a lot of mowing). Anyway, I have close to 300 hrs on the machine now, and I am a little worried about the new hydrostat. Could you tell me how many hrs are on yours? I wonder what the average time to failure is? Anyway, like I said, I too am curious and would like to know if any of the heavier duty transmissions will fit easily. I am sure most anything can be made to work, but it would be nice if it would just bolt in.

• general_tcsjerky_com
    15 years ago

Were you able to find a replacement tranny? I have a L130 with a failing tranny also. I just can't fathom why JD would put out a product like this, my tranny is failing at 100 hours! I've also replaced all deck idlers & pulleys, drive belt and Idlers. Theses are thinbgs I would expect but not the tranny.

• fix_it
    15 years ago

What are your symptoms? You might look at my thread concerning changing the trans oil. Might help, probably won't hurt. If it is really bad, you might try some 20W50. Also, if you look up the parts list on the Tuff Torque page, I'm pretty sure they sell a repair kit for this transmission.

• gottsmack
    15 years ago

The tractor does pretty well for about 20 minutes then gradually loses forward momentum until it has no more go. Reverse usually quits first. I was told that the L130 tranny was not serviceable otherwise I would have torn into it. Although I only have 108 hours on the tractor, John Deere said I was SOL. They want a cool $600 for a new one so I'm exhausting all avenues before I pull the trigger.
    Thanks

• justin3
    15 years ago

The "L" series Tractors produced by John Deere were designed as consumer grade products to be sold at box stores such as Home Depot and Lowes. You will not find real John Deere Quality in any "L" series or "LA" Tractors, they are really just Scotts brand painted green. The reason John Deere got into the consumer grade market was to compete with brands like Craftsmen, Murray, AYP, Troy Built and other brands sold at Box stores. If you want a real John Deere you will have to spend money on LT series at your John Deere dealer.
    Spending $600 for a new Transmission is just ridiculous, your best bet would be to sell the engine on the tractor which is still good and buy something new.

• gottsmack
    15 years ago

Tell me about it! I bought the tractor from our local John Deere dealer, I didn't even see the ones at Lowes or Home Depot. I have the same motor on my Mud Buddy and it hasn't given my one problem. I'd go get a real tractor in a heart beat but the wife has the purse strings pretty tight right now. I'm gonna try flushing and changing the oil, from what I've seen on this forum, it may do the trick....until I can afford a Kubota or Husqvarna.
    Thanks for the advice
    Bob

• fix_it
    15 years ago

The John Deere parts page lists the trans in the L130 as a Tuff Torque K46AC. The Tuff Torque parts page lists a repair kit for this trans. It is Tuff Torque part number 1A646099550. The price they show for this is $373.81. Included in this kit are #24 (center case), #31 (pimp kit), #38 (cylinder block kit), and #200 (seal kit). I think you may have to get a Tuff Torque dealer to order this for you. That would be pretty much any lawn mower repair shop, as just about all brands use Tuff Torque products. I have no idea it this will fix the problems listed in the post, or how difficult it would be to install. But, this would be a cheaper alternative if you aren't afaid to tear into it and have the mechanical ability to do so.

• autotek
    14 years ago

I also have a JD L130 AND I HAVE HAD ALL THE DECK PROBLEMS.JUST LAST WEEL I HAD TO REPLACE THE STEERING FAN GEAR AND BOTH LINKAGES ALONG WITH THE FRONT AXLE.TODAY WHILE I WAS MOWING THE RIGHT HAND SPINDLE BROKE FREE OF THE DECK NOW I NEED A DECK.I HAVE ALSO LEARNED THAT THE REPLACEMENT PARTS ARE A BETTER QUALITY OF PART THAN THE ORIGINAL. IT WOULD NOT BE SO BAD IF THEY DID NOT COST SO MUCH.REPLACED THE CLUTCH HEAD AND WIRING HARNESS LAST YEAR.I thought i was buing a quality built JD product I was wrong.

• swaim
    14 years ago

I bought a L130 and the guy told me it needed a new transaxle. I tried it out didnt do a thing. Got it home took out the transaxle set it on a bench and took it all apart and cleaned it with carburetor cleaner. I put Sae 30 oil back in it through the fill hole and used a drill with a socket to spin over the transaxle added more fluid as needed to make it completely full reinstalled and works great. The mower cost me $400 and the Oil and cleaner was $20. I have a great running and looking mower now. It probably took me 3 or 4 hours to do but beats the $600 Deere wanted for a new one. If you try this just remember where all the pieces go. I would suggest doing this before forking out the $600 bucks for a new one. I know they say you cant fix them but remember "IF MAN MADE IT MAN CAN FIX IT"

• donrouse54_aol_com
    13 years ago

stalls out ounder load

• apachechief1_hughes_net
    13 years ago

Could someone email me the directions on how to remove and replace the transmition on the John Deere L130? Thank you ahad of time....Don

• flossykh
    12 years ago

does anyone have the Directions on how to remove and replace the transmission on the John Deere L130 PLEASE.....

It would be greatly appreciated.

• tsmower
    12 years ago

Wondering how swains repair is holding up.
    I have an l130, weak on the hills, getting ready to do the same.