Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davesa_gw

Craftsman 21' mulcher with bag, b&S engine, needs more power

davesa
14 years ago

Basically the mower I have is a craftsman 21 inch with no side shoot and mulching ability and an attachable bag to the back. It would never mulch, people just kept saying my blade wasn't sharped right and I kept getting it re-sharped for mulching, still no joy. Well the grass is tall since it is green so yesterday I mode on highest setting and it was fine and today I mowed same area two settings lower just to get to normal height and mower was acting normal, sounds like low rpm,s no mulching, then it would go real low rpms and no mulching then die. Aftermarket sure everything is clean, it has fresh gas, new plug, clean air filter. new oil. It was acting like it had 2 horsepower then almost no horsepower to stay running when it was bogged down. I noticed the butterfly on carb wasn't open even half way when mower was engaged, and when it bogged it went to like an idle, so I played around with the spring and now under normal ops it runs very good at higher rpm as butterfly is all the way open, and when it bogs down it goes less than half way then returns to all the way open. Question is, is this normal ops. Mower is a craftsman model# 917.388740 and the Brigg's and Stratton 6.5 hp 2BSXS.1901VH and also the number 275260, as it seemed no one online new these as typical Brigg's and Stratton motors, I also found this number online 125K02 or model 12000

Comments (3)