Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eglideic

Honda powered lawn mower won't start

eglideic
12 years ago

I got a new TroyBilt lawnmower with a Honda GVC160 motor last year and it worked fine.

I tried to start it this year and it wouldn't start.

I drained the old gas from the tank and carb bowl and put in new gas.

It still wouldn't start.

I pulled the spark plug and had plenty of spark.

I poured gas into the carb to prime it and it fired and ran untill it burned the gas I poured in.

I held the choke closed and someone else pulled the cord and it started and runs as long as I keep it partly choked.

Any ideas?

Comments (10)

• baymee
    12 years ago

Typical varnish in the carb. Those carbs use a long thin jetting system. If you look straight up through the hole where the bottom drain plug inserts, you'll see a screwdriver slot. That is the jet. Unscrew it and clean it, or possibly even the whole carb.

Before you do this, remove the bowl itself and inspect for water.

• tn_gardening
    11 years ago

Sounds like you aren't getting the proper air/gas mixture. Pretty common and probably have varnish and/or clogged carb.

Whatever you do, don't throw that mower away. Even in it's non-running condition, it's worth something to somebody.

• 1saxman
    11 years ago

OHC engines have been known to have sticky valves after storage without proper preparation. You can put a 1:1 mixture of gas and Marvel Mystery Oil (1 teaspoon) in the spark plug hole and see if it runs momentarily on that. If not, pull it a few more times and let it sit overnight. Use of MMO and fuel stabilizer in your gas can could well prevent this sort of problem.

• eglideic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

FIXED.
    My brother took a look at it and just shortened the spring to the governor and it works like new.

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

I just want to point out a few things I feel are worth noting.

First to the OP. Please learn proper lawn equipment maintenance. Leaving today's gas in a mower over the off season is silly, even if your using a stabilizer. The ethanol in most fuel will pretty much turn to water (in lay terms) and render your practically new mower useless. Just Google ethanol gas in lawn equipment and read up. Then Google "lawn equipment maintenance" and do the same. Its for your/your wallets own good.

Second to saxman, Honda mowers dont suffer from sticky valves that often. Especially after this short of a time. I fixed a guy who acquired his father in laws HRX that sat for 1.5y with fuel in it and even though his carb had pretty much straight water in it and was rusted on the inside (blew my mind) the valve was not compromised in any way.Personally I have never even ran across this issue. Not that it doesnt happen but I just feel its pretty uncommon.

• 1saxman
    11 years ago

It has come up here before or I wouldn't have mentioned it. The treatment I proposed was harmless and would do some good even if the valves weren't stuck. It was worth a shot. Sometimes we get the answers and sometimes we don't.

• Vaun Day
    6 years ago

I had all kinds of issues with mine. I got it Aug 2017 at Lowe's and they fixed it last fall. This spring it will not start and Lowe's won't help me with it because I didn't buy the extended warranty (even though it has a two-year manufacturer's warranty) so I had a friend haul it to a authorized repair shop 45 miles from where I live. I had removed the carburetor to make sure it was clean and it was but because I didn't put it back on (thinking I'd save the repairman some work) this voided the warranty. I had a Troy Built with a Briggs & Stratton engine that worked great for 10 years. I paid extra this time for the Honda engine and I'm sorry I did because it was nothing but trouble. I told the repair shop to trash the mower because I don't have a way to get it back and I don't want one that is unreliable. My review is also DO NOT BUY!

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

A lot of these new guaranteed to start mowers have thermal metallic chokes which are closed upon starting and when warm the choke opens . Unfortunately they are not fuel proof , also Egas fouls all these new engines Honda and Kohler if the owner does not properly treat the fuel . Sign of the times .