Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeremy654

Craftsman Lawnmower only starts when primed

Jeremy654
13 years ago

Hello, I have a craftsman walk behind mower. It is 5.5 horsepower, 22 inch. It is the eager one pull start model. I think it has a tecumseh engine. Model # 917.387150, Serial # 112296m 000401, Engine Model # 143.975500, D.O.M # 6325-J.

I just got this mower from a friend. He said it did not run. I was eager to try and fix it anyway because my old new lawn mower got stolen. I thought a new plug, oil, and gas, and air filter, would do the trick. I did all that and I could not even get it to start. I looked online and followed some instructions on how to clean the carb. I cleaned the thing out and replaced the gasket, and a few other parts, I can't remember the name of. I also cleaned out the bolt at the bottom of the carb, per the instructions.

After all this, I was able to get it to start. It seems to start just fine after I prime it. It cuts my grass like a champ. It cuts better then any other mower I have had. Unfortunately, it only runs if I prime it. Even if it has been running for awhile, I have to prime it. Also, it usually takes at least two hard pulls to get it going. If you guys and gals can give me some idea how to get this thing to run without having to prime it every single time that would be great!

Jeremy

Comments (7)