Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Lawnmower only starts when primed

Posted by Jeremy654 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 3:21

Hello, I have a craftsman walk behind mower. It is 5.5 horsepower, 22 inch. It is the eager one pull start model. I think it has a tecumseh engine. Model # 917.387150, Serial # 112296m 000401, Engine Model # 143.975500, D.O.M # 6325-J.

I just got this mower from a friend. He said it did not run. I was eager to try and fix it anyway because my old new lawn mower got stolen. I thought a new plug, oil, and gas, and air filter, would do the trick. I did all that and I could not even get it to start. I looked online and followed some instructions on how to clean the carb. I cleaned the thing out and replaced the gasket, and a few other parts, I can't remember the name of. I also cleaned out the bolt at the bottom of the carb, per the instructions.

After all this, I was able to get it to start. It seems to start just fine after I prime it. It cuts my grass like a champ. It cuts better then any other mower I have had. Unfortunately, it only runs if I prime it. Even if it has been running for awhile, I have to prime it. Also, it usually takes at least two hard pulls to get it going. If you guys and gals can give me some idea how to get this thing to run without having to prime it every single time that would be great!

Jeremy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Lawnmower only starts when primed

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 5:51

If you are saying that it runs every time, but you have to prime it first, just add some Sea Foam to the fuel and over time the carb will clean itself.

o

Baymee, it does start everytime but only if I prime it. How much Sea Foam should I add to the fuel? Are there instructions on the can? Thank you for your response.

Jeremy

o

• Posted by slag lawrence ks (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 16:37

I'm fairly certain you are supposed to prime it every time to start it. That being said, those eager 1 engines are junk and the carbs are horrible.

o

If all it takes is one push of the primer to get it running I don't think you have much, if any problem. Certainly not enough to spend any money trying to fix. Just get back to mowing grass!

o

Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 20:33

From what I've seen in my shop, the Eager 1 mowers were probably the most durable mower ever sold by Sears. I see them from the 90s with the wheels still intact.

Add about 1 oz. of Sea Foam per gallon of gas.

o

The primer bulb takes the place of a lot of extra engineering of how to get the mower to start easily. They've been in use for a lot of years. Only problems with that type are dirt in the tank, in the fuel line and filter, bad float, plugged air bleeder hole in gas cap, or a hole in the little rubber primer bulb! Some of them have a hole in the bulb made that way.

o

Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 7:05

Speaking of the hole in the primer bulb, I discovered something recently that I never gave much thought to.

A customer went to his Briggs dealer and was given a primer bulb with no hole to repair a late model 6.5HP engine. The engine would start and run for two seconds and die....repeatedly.

I know from experience that these engines all use the bulb with the hole in it, so I swapped it out on a hunch.

The engine started and ran perfectly. Although there are both type of bulbs, the same type of bulb must be used for replacement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here