Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvcpro73

What is a lawn mower drive unit?

pvcpro73
10 years ago

Hello everyone, I have a question about my lawn mower which hopefully someone on here can answer.
My mountfield sp464 wouldn't self drive last week so I had to push it to get my lawn cut, it was really tough going as there was quite a bit of resistance when pushing it and the grass was quite long too since it was our first cut.
Eventually I got it done after 2 hours.
I rang around the local repair guys for a price and ended up taking it to a guy a few miles away as he said he could have it ready by this weekend, during the phone call I explained that the mower could do with a service which he quoted �39 for, but I also explained that it needed a repair as it wasn't driving.
I left it with him on Thursday, he rang me on Friday morning to say it'd be ready at 3pm. I went to pick it up and he brought it from out the back and said "bit of a problem I'm afraid, I've given it a service but the drive unit has gone and it's not really worth the expense of fitting a new one on this old machine, but you can use it as a push mower"
I said I wasn't happy as I didn't want a push mower and the repair was the main thing I'd brought it to him for, not just a service!
I asked how much the repair would be and he said a new drive unit is �57 and �12 to fit it.
I reluctantly agreed out of desperation and he loaned me a lawn mower to cut my lawn until my mower was ready.
What is a drive unit and is his price fair?
Sorry for the long post but just wanted to explain the whole story!

Any advice or replies appreciated,

Thanks

Mike