Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement for Briggs 253707 engine

Posted by hopsfarmer (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 6:08

I have a john deere 111 riding lawnmower that has an 11 hp B & S engine model 253707 engine. I found a B & S 12 hp model 281707-0191-01 for sale. The only difference I can see is that the 12 hp doesn't have a high line oil level like my 11 hp has. Does anyone know if the 12 hp would work on my rider?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement for Briggs 253707 engine

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 11:31

Check that both crankshafts are the same diameter and length and that the connectors on the wires coming from under the flywheel are the same. If everything checks out you should be good to go.

o
RE: Replacement for Briggs 253707 engine

The 28 series engine will have a 1" by 3-5/32"(?) crankshaft as will the 25 UNLESS the 25 is turned down to 7/8" on the end which I don't think it will on a JD. The 28 will have an extra bolt with accompanying casting protrusion on the back in the middle of the crankcase but again, I don't think there will be an interference problem. The stators will interchange IF need be.

Walt Conner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here