Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
striper_gw

New Toro Personal Pace--unhappy with the cut

striper
9 years ago

Title says it...just picked up a Toro Personal Pace, used it for the first time, and was extremely disappointed with the cut. Wheels set for maximum cutting height, started on my second pull, and the personal pace was a breeze to use. An hour later, I looked out over my lawn and found a clumpy, uneven, and distinctly un-manicured overall appearance. Some of the grass, even some of the tallest clumps, didn't even look as if it had been touched.

Now, about the lawn...I'm in the Midwest, and we're still coming out of dormancy, after a long winter. The grass is a blend of fescues that had been fed in the fall and again (fert w/pre-emerge) in the spring. Basically it's a healthy lawn, which adds to my cutting confusion.

So now I'm looking for ideas. Off the top of my head I can guess that maybe at the highest setting the deck/blades aren't generating enough lift to stand the grass up evenly. It also occurred to me that possibly the blade is on upside down. (Not sure if that's even possible, or how I would know by looking at it.) or maybe the engine isn't turning the blade fast enough.

Thoughts?

Comments (6)

• 1saxman
    9 years ago

It sounds like you're trying to mulch at the highest deck height and the air under the deck is blowing down the grass away from the blade. Try bagging or discharging at that height. To mulch, you'll probably have to reduce the grass height 1 notch at a time to get to 3 1/2", but you can't expect really good results when mulching until you get to 3" or less.

• striper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hadn't considered that...good call. Makes sense, as I did have the mulch plate down. 3" is a little short for fescue in this climate, so I think I'll try the side discharge idea first.

Thanks for the input!

• hippy
    9 years ago

Saxman hit the mark.

You must also remember if it is your first cut of the season. The grass will be mated/packed down due to the snow and weather of winter. It can take two or three cuttings at times to get a lawn straightened out and looking good in the Spring.

• striper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup, taking that into account, as well. Nothing is really growing at the at same rate at this point, so that by itself accounts for some of the unevenness. It's the part where some of the taller stuff appeared uncut that worried me most.

Looking forward to making another run at it soon!

• 1saxman
    9 years ago

You might just check the blade orientation too, as you mentioned, if it has ever been off the mower. Pull the spark plug wire off. Raise the carburetor side (with air filter) and stand the mower up on its other side wheels. In this orientation rotation is counter-clockwise. See that the sharp edges are on the leading edge of the blade. Check blade nut for tightness. You might consider replacing the blade or having it sharpened at this time. If you just have the one mower, you might consider buying a new blade and installing it, and keeping the old one if its in good condition. Have it sharpened and balanced, and hang it up to use next time. Next time you change blades, have the newer one sharpened and balanced. This way you have a good blade ready at all times.

• striper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a brand new mower, so the blade probably hasn't been off since it's assembly point. I did check today and the orientation appears correct, so more and more I'm thinking the mulch thing might have been the problem. Likely I will pick up a second blade, as you suggest, so I can always have a fresh one on hand.

Assuming the side discharge does the trick, I'm really looking forward to more time with this machine.