Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seal mower deck to prevent rusting

Posted by bluelawn (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 10:17

I have a craftsman lawnmower with a steel deck which has become extremely rusted. The bottom of the mower deck used to be coated with a layer of green paint but is now completely gone and has been replaced by a layer of rust. This in turn causes the grass to stick to the mower deck making mulching next to impossible. I have to stop every couple of feet and tip up the mower to let some of the grass disperse from underneath the deck otherwise the mower will die. I also have to spend quite a bit of time scraping the grass off the underneath side of the mower deck after each use. Is there any kind of sealant or specialty paint available that I could apply to the underneath side of the deck to prevent rusting, that would protect against wet grass and other moisture, and would also make the process of cleaning the mower deck much easier?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seal mower deck to prevent rusting

You need to mow more often (only cut off 1/3 of the height if mulching) and mow when your lawn is dry (late afternoon or evening). That should cure most of your issues unless your lawn is more weeds than grass. In that case you have more issues than just a rusty mower.

o

My son works for a rust-proofing company, and he says folks have them spray the undersides of their mower decks with the rustproofing as used on pickup beds. Of course, there is no guarantee, and you must remove the deck to have it done.

o

Do you know what the actual product is that they spray onto the mower decks? I'm thinking about trying POR-15 but I don't know how well it will hold up on a lawnmower.

o

What i did and so far it's working. On an older model Troy bilt rider i took the deck off, removed the three blades and spindels. Pressure washed the deck let it thourghly dry and had a friend spray it with some leftover liquid bed liner. This was last fall and so far it is holding up pretty well. I used it on leaves last fall, and have mowed twice so far this spring. After each use i use a blower to clean underneath. Not sure how long it will last.

o

I've had great luck with Loctite Rust Neutralizer on a variety of products (haven't tried it under a mower deck but don't know why it wouldn't work). http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp%3fcatid=13&subid=47&plid=168

Here is a link that might be useful: Loctite Rust Neutralizer

o

Bluelawn: This topic has been discussed at length previously. POR-15 is a very good product a little pricy
but excellent. If you already have some it will work great for the intention you have in mind. If not there are other treatments as has been advised bu the other very knowledgeble forum members . Check out the Prices and go for it .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here