Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front wheel drive quit

Posted by fromthe5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 11:07

Hi folks,

I was mowing the lawn for the first time this season yesterday. I have a Honda mower with front wheel drive that's a little over a year old. I got about half way through and the self propelled drive quit. Is there an easy fix for this or do I need to get it into a mower shop?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front wheel drive quit

More than likely the belt popped off. Check for grass build up around the trans and in the pulleys. If you tip the mower , remove the spark plug wire for safety and tip w/ the air filter up. If you need more help, be sure to give us the make and model # of the mower. If it seems to be a bigger deal- you may want to find that purchase receipt for warranty.

o

I don't know of a Honda mower with FWD. Must be some other make with a Honda engine. FWD always breaks down, wears out the front tires and is generally no good, which is why it won't be found on premium mowers.

o

Thanks for the responses. I'll pull the front cover and check the belt first, as soon as I get the time to get to it. saxman, I'll get the model name or number also. It was sold to me as a Honda mower. Also saxman, would that be tenor or alto?

o

Mainly tenor, but I also play soprano, alto and baritone regularly, as well as tenor/alto 'duals'.

Frequently, the plastic gear teeth in the front wheels or the spur gears on the axle ends wear out. Hopefully its only the belt in your case. Let us know what you find.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here