Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kingwah

model - parts?

kingwah
10 years ago

Hi, was hoping someone could help identify this mower. I am trying to find a replacement bag. the bag has a plastic handle that sits on the pin. I think its a toro but having a heck of a time finding a matching image.

Comments (11)

• tomplum
    10 years ago

It is a Toro Whirlwind. the 1st 2 numbers on the engines code # will give you the year to work from.

• kingwah
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Where do I find that number?

• hippy
    10 years ago

If it is a first generation Whirlwind. I do not think they came with a bag system.

The engine appears to be a newer type Briggs.

Maybe a Whirlwind II (2). The bag is part number Toro Consumer 44-0540 (replaces 6-0929). Try mower model number 16297 in your search. For it is one model that offered a bag.

EDIT: Model #16297 is for a self propelled mower. But the bag systems are the same.

This post was edited by hippy on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 12:04

• kingwah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your help. I have attached a new pic showing the top of the handle. It is a guardian 21, but I still cannot find the model number. I thinks it is a 1971 After talking with father-inlaw, he said he has replaced the engine twice.
    The front wheels were mismatched and it would pull which makes it hard to maintain straight lines. I would like to replace the front wheels, but not sure what to use.
    The deck is aluminium and very light weight so I would like to keep it in service. Any more info is greatly appreciated.

• hippy
    9 years ago

If I remember correctly the early Guardians used a two piece system.

Chute Toro Part number 6-1089 6-0030 20-2060 19-21"

I cant find the part number for the bag at the moment.

• kingwah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found a replacement bag, now looking for wheels.
    Any help in identifying the model is still very much welcome.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Try this.

Toro Consumer 21557, Guardian, 1977 (SN 7000001-7999999)

• ToroWhirlwind1970
    9 years ago

What you have is an amalgam of several different mowers. The deck is from a 1972 through 1976 Toro Whirlwind. The handles are from a 1971-1972 Toro Guardian. The engine looks like it's from the mid 1990s or so.

Here is an ebay number for front wheels that will fit that deck. He's a very good seller. I just received a pair of NOS wheels from him today.

• ToroWhirlwind1970
    9 years ago

What you have is an amalgam of several different mowers. The deck is from a 1972 through 1976 Toro Whirlwind. The handles are from a 1971-1972 Toro Guardian. The engine looks like it's from the mid 1990s or so.

Here is an ebay number for front wheels that will fit that deck. He's a very good seller. I just received a pair of NOS wheels from him today.

• kingwah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow ToroWhirlwind1970, that makes sense, my father in-law is notorious for slapping things together. I really can't assume anything is original. He did say he replaced the engine twice. Would you happen to know if the front and back tires should be the same size. He had 8" in back and 6" in front.

• kingwah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow ToroWhirlwind1970, that makes sense, my father in-law is notorious for slapping things together. I really can't assume anything is original. He did say he replaced the engine twice. Would you happen to know if the front and back tires should be the same size. He had 8" in back and 6" in front.