Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
B&S 6.5 Idle too low

Posted by denis_lawn (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 11:15

Hi, My B&S 6.5 OHV on my Scott's by John Deere mower seem to idle to low. I just did a carburator cleanup(change gasket, needle and needle seat), unplug all the little hole and scrape the varnish. It start good and stay running but seem not to turn fast enought. Is there an idle scew I can ajust or is it the spring with the 1cm gap that should be check, adjust, replace? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: B&S 6.5 Idle too low

If the high speed seems too low, bend the forward tang that the governor spring is attached to out until the needle on your tach reads 3150.

o

I just read that I should adjuste the main jet on my carburator to 1 or 1 1/2 turn counterclock wise. I just rebuild it and turn the screw(main jet under the bowl) all the way. Is that the problem.

o

That's way odd that you would have an adjustable main jet. Isn't what you have just a bowl nut? On carbs that do have a main adjusting screw - how would you know how many turns it was out if it wasn't turned in first?

o

On the B&S site they say turn it all the way until it touch the bowl, then turn it counterclock wise 1 or 1 1/2 turn. That's for the bowl nut with jet inside. Then they say if theres and idle screw(with spring) to do the same thing. Mine dosen't have an idle scew. One post say to turn the bowl nut until gas stop leaking, not all the way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here