Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Deere lx176 Very hard to steer

Posted by Jim1544 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 11:26

Just got a new to me John Deer lx176 mower an it is like steering a tank. The steering is so tight my wife can not even turn the wheel.
I have greased both ball joints with no luck.
any assistance with this would be great appreciated.
Jim...............

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Deere lx176 Very hard to steer

They get tight in the front axle where the wheel spindles go through. Classic if not greased as they should be before you got it. Also, look from the side and see if the axle is perpendicular to the ground. Sometimes the center of the axle develops a problem and they tilt. Should you need parts, you need to compare what style yours has as there are different types on the LX .

o

And to add.

Start at the steering wheel and follow the shaft down. Lube any bushing that the steering shaft passes through. Spray type NAPA Chain & Cable lube is good to use.

Once you follow the shaft to the end. You should see something like this called a Pitman Arm . May be located under the frame or just on top of it behind the engine.

The steering shaft has a toothed gear (cog) that meshes with the Pitman arm. Grease both of them were they mesh. And any bushing that their shafts pass through.

A lot of people do not lube these parts as part of their maintenance routine. And it shows on machines that are ten or twenty years old.

o

IF it was me I would first Isolate the problem. remove the control arm from the front wheels, Jack the front up so the wheels are off the ground.

Now you can see if it is the front end axle spindles or the parts Hippy is talking about. My guess is also inline with hippy's, probably the pitman arm where it goes through the frame. With the front end jacked up and disconnected you should be able to figure out which end binding.

Utilizing the IPB for the XL176 when you find the binding part you can disassemble polish the baring surfaces, lubricate, and install. This should correct any binding problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here