Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echoman_gw

opti-2

echoman
17 years ago

Kind of curious in trying this oil after reading up some on it. I know some here do use it with good results? What do the premix packs actually mix the ratio at? I want ULTIMATE protection and have used Torco oils for several years which are industry leaders in all oils both 2 and 4 cycle. They created the first oil to withstand "nitrowash" that was destroying top fuel dragsters in the 50's. Anyway, I know some use Mobil 1 2T racing oil which might be my next choice, but have found no reason to switch from Torco. I get good deals from the local distributer. All comments are appreciated!

Comments (7)

• fix_it
    17 years ago

I use the Opti-2. Not the little packets, but the 12 oz bottle. I used it for a couple of years with no problems. Then I actually calculated the ratio. It says to mix 12 oz with 10 gallons of gas. The bottle is marked in 1 gal increments on the side for mixing smaller amounts. If you figure 128 oz per gallon x 10 / 12 oz per bottle, you get a little over 100:1 mix. I think the little packets are somewhere around 75:1. They must be afraid that you won't get all the oil out of the pouch. Anyway, that scared me. So I now use two gallon marks on the bottle to 1 gallon of gas. That is close to 50:1 mix. It does not smoke or carbon up at 50:1. You can smell it a little stronger than at 100:1 though.

The price is around $6.00 per bottle, so it is comparable to other oils when used at 50:1 and about half price if you mix it as they say. So, it is economical for me to use it. I run my equipment semi-commercial. About 11 yards a week. I have been running the same RedMax blower and Kawasaki trimmer for about 6 years. I have had no oil related problems from either of them. I guess that is an indicator that it is pretty good oil.

Someone here reported using Opti-2 at 66:1 and adding some amount of Marvel Mystery Oil to the mix with good results. Don't remember who it was.

I wonder if the oil is more concentrated allowing for the super lean mix, or what exacly is going on with it. I'm kinda curious, but like I said I ran it at 100:1 for a couple of years and did not have any problems.

{{gwi:128045}}

• 1saxman
    17 years ago

I've been using Opti-2 and Opti-4 for about 15 years. The longest Opti-2 use has been in a string trimmer, which is now 14 years old. Next would be a Lawn-Boy mower, model 10201 (recently sold) that was 13 years old. I use it in my LB 10550 (Duraforce), Mantis tiller, chain saw and edger, all at the same mix. The mix I use is 1.5 times the recommendation, or three 1-gal measures rather than two for a 2-gal mix, about 66:1. I started using Opti-4 SAE 30 in a 1989 Homelite/Jacobsen mower with 3.5HP B&S. That mower is still running at my sister-in-law's house. I also use it in my current 4-cycle mower with a Tecumseh, and I have used it in a Honda with GCV. Opti products are not synthetic. Is it the best? I couldn't say, but it's plenty good.

• 1saxman
    17 years ago

BTW, I forgot to add that I also add MMO to all fuel; about 1 oz/gal, plus Sta-Bil in the 4-cycle mix.

• echoman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I too have used MMO for many years in all my equipment both new and used and have never had a fuel/carb related issue. Also alternate shots of Sea Foam every other gallon for PM. I bought a 79' model 8753 I think it was, used from a local dealer when it was about 14-15 years old, and ran it on cheap ol' Pennzoil Multi Purpose TCW-2 rated oil @ 32:1 for several years before I switched to Torco's Powerstroke synthetic formula(now replaced formula)@ 40:1, which made it run much cleaner, smoked less, and cleaned combustion chamber deposits. I'm in the market for another such mower, and think I may have found one across the state line but in a 19inch model. I just LOVED the way that mower ran, handled and cut! Wish I still had it!!

• mtgrs737
    17 years ago

I run Mobil One Racing 2T at 32 to 1 in all my two stroke engines, I always recomend running the ratio that the manufacturer recommends for their engine as a minimum. I know that lots of folks use the ultra high ratio oils and seems to have good luck with them, but I wouldn't be comfortable with doing that. After all it's only oil and that is what an engine lives on. IMHO

• 1saxman
    17 years ago

I really don't want to get this started again, but some things can't be left alone. In a nutshell, some oils are more concentrated than others, and so can be more diluted without endangering the engine. Lawn-Boy oil is very 'thin' for several good reasons - it quickly pours from the can, it's loaded with solvents for cleaning, and it mixes readily and completely with gasoline. Opti-2 is much 'thicker' and requires very careful measuring and mixing, plus I like to add an oily solvent package (MMO). So, you can't just say that you should use the manufacturer's ratio unless you're referring only to the manufacturer's recommended oil, as in Lawn-Boy oil.

• Doit_Myselfer
    13 years ago

I'm new to Opti-2, however, just having purchased some new two stroke equipment I've done some asking around... I have a neighbor (out here in the boonies), very mechanically mided, owns a farm, has (and uses) tons of equipment, does ALL his own maintenance, and only uses opti-2. He has an Echo trimmer, still running, after 22 years (yes that's t-w-e-n-t-y t-w-o), and has ONLY used opti-2 for the life of the trimmer. He swears it has its original spark plug. I guess it's arguable as to whether that is a testament to Echo or opti-2, but nevertheless, if you're worried about whether or not opti-2 is a worthy product, that's enough for me.

One major extra benefit is that you don't need to worry about the mfgr specs for mixing ratios. It doesn't matter what ratio is called for, you mix a gallon of gas and use it in all your two stroke equipment. I'll be having just ONE gas can for the trimmers, chain saws, outboard, etc.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths