Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomg1999

Briggs&Stratton - fuel in oil, white smoke

tomg1999
14 years ago

Last fall I rebuilt the Walbro carb on my B&S Intex as fuel was seeping thru to the cyclinder and contaminating the oil. This seemed to do the job just fine but after letting it sit thru the winter, it's doing it again! No, I didn't install a fuel shut off valve as suggested on other posts but didn't have one prior to this problem starting up. Could it be due to something else or did my rebuild just not hold and need to do it again? I replaced all the parts possible via the kit...float, needle valve, the various screw in jets. Didn't replace the bullet shaped, brass/port part...couldn't figure out how to get it out but didn't think it was a critical item. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! Tom

Comments (6)

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

Why cant you just admit defeat, and co buy a fuel shut-off valve>?? Cost around $5.00, takes a few minutes to install--problem solved!
    Oh, oh, i guess its more fun crying about it, than admitting defeat, and fixing it right! Boo-hoo!!

• walt2002
    14 years ago

" No, I didn't install a fuel shut off valve as suggested on other posts but didn't have one prior to this problem starting up."

And there are people dying every day that never did before.

Walt Conner

• zoomie
    14 years ago

Im with tomg, didnt come with one from the manufacturer then there has to be an underlying problem. If the engineers who put it together didnt think there should be a shutoff why does it need one now?

• walt2002
    14 years ago

"Im with tomg, didnt come with one from the manufacturer then there has to be an underlying problem. If the engineers who put it together didn't think there should be a shutoff why does it need one now?"

Boy! Are you out of it. It didn't come from the mfg. with a shut off valve because they were too cheap to put one on. Now no engineer can foretell when a speck of something is going to get in your gas and lodge under the float needle, they can not foresee all the many variables that cause a float needle to leak.

But you go right ahead, I get dozens of engines every year from people blown just from this very cause.

You best listen to wise ole Rusty.

Walt Conner

• chesapeakebeach
    14 years ago

I suspect it's more than just manufacturers being too cheap to add fuel shut-off valves. It's probably that they know all too well that the vast majority of people would never use it, and that those who did would forget come spring that they'd shut off the fuel line the previous fall, leading to a no-start condition, leading to a service visit, leading to an irked consumer who would blame the manufacturer for adding a needlessly complicating feature to a mower.

• ewalk
    14 years ago

Yep listen to Ole Rusty an Walt between them they have seen more mower's than Moses ! Ifin a Consumer is so incompetent to not understand a safety shutoff valve I would seriously consider his usage of the mower in the 1st place. Dirty gas is an inevitable situation . The gas shutoff should be standard issue on all gas engines .