Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
honda GCV190 5.1 hp?

Posted by craig00 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 13:05

Thinking it had a 6.5 HP engine, I bought a HRX217VKA and googled the GCV190 engine:
http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gcv190.

The "specs" drop down states: Net Power Output* 5.1HP (3.8 kW) @ 3600 rpm

*The SAE J1349 standard measures net horsepower with the manufacturer�s production muffler and air cleaner in place. Net horsepower more closely correlates with the power the operator will experience when using a Honda engine powered product. The power rating of the engines indicated in this document measures the net power output at 3600 rpm (7000 rpm for model GXH50, GXV50, GX25 and GX35) and net torque at 2500 rpm, as tested on a production engine. Mass production engines may vary from this value. Actual power output for the engine installed in the final machine will vary depending on numerous factors, including the operation speed of the engine in application, environmental conditions, maintenance and other variables.

I know the 5.1 HP rating doesn't change it's actual performance, but the 1.5 HP difference in what I read on the web is significant.

The GCV160 specs are: Net Power Output* 4.4 HP (3.3 kW) @ 3600 rpm!

Here is a link that might be useful: Honda small engines

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: honda GCV190 5.1 hp?

The horsepower ratings are a bit different in the last year or 2 and are less dishonest then they were previously.

Previously, charging, cooling, muffler and I can't remember the rest, were considered "accessories" and not used when testing.
I wonder how ANY of the engine makers would stand by the warranty if you removed the cooling fins off the flywheel, since they were "just an accessory"?

You may have noticed they now use "power or gross torque ratings" etc., with little mention of ACTUAL HP.
A 600 is supposedly more powerful than a 500 etc.

o
RE: honda GCV190 5.1 hp?

The earlier ratings were misleading to an extent but still useful. The old HP ratings were max output. Unfortunately, it's not safe to use a mower at 4300 RPM, and most are set to run around 3200 RPM for blade safety (max blade tip speed). So, if you had a 3.5 HP mower that was not up the job, you got a 5.0 HP. Any way you cut it, you were getting about 1.5 more HP, because all the engines were rated by the same formula. Now they are rated at max torque at the normal operating speed, which technically is a more useable value. The actual HP ratings are not even normally on the engine or in the literature. Your engine probably is rated at 6.5 lbs/ft of torque, and probably would have been rated at 6.5 HP some years ago. Whatever, you have about 1 or 1.5 more HP than a GVC 160. You will find similar ratings for other engines of similar displacement.
To just cut and bag a well-kept lawn, 3.0 to 3.5 HP was adequate for many years. Then, the HP wars started with the growing popularity of mulching, or 'recycling' and self-propelled mowers. Somewhere along the line, the issue of actual HP came up, and manufacturers eventually adapted the torque rating system to basically shut everybody up. It didn't make any difference and never did, but that's what we have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here