Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1saxman

The Nerve Of Some People

1saxman
9 years ago

My son in another state told me his neighbor asked to borrow his lawn mower. This is a subdivision with small, flat yards. My son recently moved there and bought a 20" Lawn-Boy w/B&S engine and Variable Speed at my recommendation. Anyway, the neighbor is an eco-freak and regularly uses a push reel mower, but he likes to use a power mower once in the spring to scalp the yard as close as he can. I told my son to not do that as it would be very bad for the mower. There could be anything in that yard and it doesn't take much to really mess up a mower. The best case would be a filthy mower needing a new or sharpened blade, an air filter, an oil change and a good cleaning. The nerve.

Comments (10)

• rcmoser
    9 years ago

What do they care? they are borrowing it not buying it!

Sounds like cheapskate to me. Goes with the other saying " easiest way to get something done is let someone else do it"

This comes up at work all the time for me beings I am considered the one with all the experience!. Daa how did I get that consideration? BY doing it.

• hippy
    9 years ago

People stopped asking to barrow my power equipment.

2 minutes after I started telling them I needed a $100 deposit.
    It always goes something like this..

"Why do you need a $100 deposit?"

"Well if it comes back with more hours on the engine than it left with. That $100 will cover the wear you put on the engine."

• rgress
    9 years ago

Those answers seem too cut and dried to me.

If it was a neighbor I liked and got along with then I would consider this to be the price of being a good neighbor. You just never know when you need to ask them for a favor.

• 1saxman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's nice, but I have been burned too many times. You see, average people have little to no affinity with tools/machines. I have a neighbor who is a 'salt of the earth' type and would do anything to help somebody. Every time he borrows a tool, it comes back damaged, and he doesn't even realize it. I had a brand new 20 oz framing hammer with a nice wood handle that he borrowed for something, and when I got it back, the handle was all dinged up under the head where he had missed with the head and hit the object with the handle. And he honestly didn't notice. I fixed it. He is death on lawn mowers, having gone through three of them since I bought a new one in 2004. However, they are friends of ours and I'll keep on lending him stuff. He's too tight to go out and buy a tool when he needs one.
    For the most part, I don't lend out things like cars, equipment, tools, saxophones, bicycles, guns or anything else that I look at as one of my 'toys' or my professional equipment. People are just morons. And the really bad part is, they get to vote.

• rustyj14
    9 years ago

I agree with Saxman! Folks have quit asking me to loan them any thing. I'll offer to go do what they want to borrow the tool for, but, the lending lamp is burnt out! I don't even ask for money, just furnish the stuff needed. Gets them every time. "Ohh, you don't have to do it! I'm perfectly capable!" Mebbe so, but prove it to somebody else! RJ

• lucillle
    9 years ago

I had a neighbor many years ago, a single mom like I was, ask to borrow my mower. She had 4 kids, went out there and did something to the mower, mowing over one of the toys hidden in the tall grass.
    I knew she could not afford to have it repaired and at that time neither could I, so I used it (it was hard to start and would die) until I could buy a new one.
    Years later, when the neighbor on the other side asked to borrow my mower, I said no, I could tell he was not happy.
    But I guess life teaches you not to lend out what you can't afford to lose.

• rosemallow
    9 years ago

This is a very touchy problem. I lend nothing to anyone. If a neighbor needs to borrow a item I just offer to do the job for him/her.
    I become a good guy for doing it and I know my equipment was used properly by me.
    On the other hand my chainsaw had some serious problems and I asked my friend Richard if I could borrow his. Now remember this I have been servicing his lawn equipment for 20 years. For free!
    He refused me and I have been pissed at him since.
    Rule #1 in my home is if I cannot afford it then I do not need it.
    So, I purchased a chain saw.
    If a member of my family needs money, I give it to them no need to borrow because you will never get it back.

• optsyeagle
    9 years ago

This is also a good reason to keep your old and used equipment running as opposed to buying brand new ones. If I have already gotten 15 years out of a mower, I am a little less annoyed if someone borrows it, then I am a brand new or close to brand new one.

I have some old outboards like that. They range from a 1961 to a 1976 model. They run like they just came off the production line, but I really couldn't care less if someone borrows the boat and I see them rowing back for some reason or another, later. Fixing it will give me something to do.

• skane1
    9 years ago

I used to lend out stuff aswell but after things came back damaged or not at all I decided to still lend things out but I only lend my old crappy tools and save the nice stuff for me.I will also go to yard sales and buy up all of the old beat up stuff just so I can lend out things when my son-in-laws come around.

• rcmoser
    9 years ago

I learnt this at early age not to loan out high dollar stuff. when I was in high school Loaned my 56 chevy to friend said he had to take his mother to doctors appointment.

Found out while I was AT WORK he was cutting donut's in the high school parking lot and when the town cop came looking for me. Luckily My boss said he's been at work the time in question of the incident.

"Now remember this I have been servicing his lawn equipment for 20 years. He refused"

That is exactly the types you get. Most of the time When you need help they are too busy or I don't loan tools. Most I help don't like my advice after I help them out. Like well if I left my equipment out in the rain or snow uncovered all summer long or winter I would be in the same boat as you.

Most of the time I say I am writing this down on the calendar and expect it to be returned tomorrow. Some I ask for them to sign a receipt for the high dollar stuff. You would be surprised how many say well I'll try something else when the find out They actually have some responsibility.

Lent out pair of transmission snap ring pliers that I paid 30 dollars for and have yet to see it back. Now I write it down who, when, and when I need it back.