Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zero-Turn Mowers in $3,000 range

Posted by nostalgicfarm 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 14:00

My husband wants to upgrade our Husqvarna riding lawn mower to a zero-turn riding lawn mower. We are on 6 acres with about 2-3 acres needing mowed every week and a half. He currently spends about 5 hours with me helping some to get our lawn mowed. Often, he is using his only days off to mow.
We are looking in about the $3,000 range. He is hoping to maybe get a mower from Lowes/Home Depot with a 10% off coupon. Unfortunately there is such a huge price jump to a commercial mower, which is what we really need.
Our options are as follows:
1)Hold off a few years until we can get a commercial unit.
2) Buy a new unit-he is looking at a Cub Cadet RZT 50 inch deck and a Toro SS5000 50 inch deck. Both are priced at 2999
3) Buy a used higher-end residential from Craigslist and probably upgrade in 1-2 years. Currently there is a Husqvarna RZ2454 that was $4000, but marked down to $3,000 when the current owner bought it.
4)He looked at a BadBoy MZ Mower for $3500, but determined that was a bit much for something not big enough to do the job long term.

I have had a somewhat hard time finding many reviews, but did find this previous link:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tractor/msg041814338997.html
about a Cub Cadet, with the main dislike being that it is bouncy. DH is 6'1, so I am not sure he would enjoy this. I think the Husqvarna riding mower we have now has a nice ride, but it takes too long to mow this place.

I am hoping that whatever we do, it either: last or we don't loose a bunch of money reselling in 1-2 years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zero-Turn Mowers in $3,000 range

Correction: The used husqvarna model is RZ5424. Price is $2,500

o

Homedepot has the Commercial Z-Beast 54" mower for $3800

It won't come up under a normal search. You have to use Commercial or beast in the search.

o

nostalgicfarm,
I'm curious which mower you ended up getting and are you happy with the purchase?

Thanks

o
Used Great Dane Chariot or New Toro SS5000?

I have a new Toro SS5000 residential lawn mower with 15 hours on it. Recently a friend of mine is selling his 2002 Great Dane Chariot 61" deck with 368 hours. Should I sell my TORO and get this Great Dane or just keep what I have? The great Dane was for his fathers home with 5 acres so no comercial use and he was first owner. Definitely not as pretty as my toro but with the 61" deck it makes quick work of my yard as I test cut yesterday. definitely can use a tune up but no major issues. He is asking $3000 which is around what I paid for my toro.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here