Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_drake

Toro Recycler vrs Super Recycler

the_drake
14 years ago

I am shopping for a new mower which I will be using using most of the time as a mulcher. I have narrowed my list down to the following:

1) Toro 20068 @Home Depot for $399. This is last years top of the line Recycler model with electric start and blade override system. (My local HD has some new in box leftovers)

2) Toro 20092 SR that lists for $560 at a local Toro dealer.

Is the Toro SR worth the extra money over the standard recycler? The 20068 model seems like a great deal, in that I am getting electric start, BOS and the larger cutting width, 22" vrs 21". Does the SR model really mulch that much better than the standard recycler to give up the other option?

Comments (18)

• canguy
    14 years ago

The Super Recycler has to be one of the best mulchers on the market. IMHO, performance is worth more than extra bells and whistles and the SR will leave a much better finish. The Recycler is a bagger with a gator blade.
    Electric start is nice but you will be buying an expensive battery in a few years.Unless you have difficulty pulling a rope, it is an expensive frill.

• metal
    14 years ago

Couldn't agree more with canguy, I had a Recycler and wished I had gone for the SR the whole time I owned it.

• turfdude
    14 years ago

FWIW, I bought a Toro 20068 last year and love it. I wouldn't have bothered with electric start but got a good deal on a return at Home Depot last year. The blade brake is a great feature and I'm enjoying the electric start even if it isn't really necessary. (Replacement batteries aren't expensive if you shop around.)

That said, I haven't tried a Super Recycler. No doubt it's better. Depends on the price difference, I guess.

• the_drake
    Original Author
    14 years ago

in Consumer Reports?

I just received the May '09 issue with the Lawn mower ratings. Honda HRX2172 is still #1 and the Toro Recycler 20333 is #2. Three of the top ten are the regular recycler models but they don't list the super recyclers in the ratings at all.

• bigskyguy
    14 years ago

The super recyclers a much better machine, will last longer, better warranty and mulches better, if you have a large yard the super reclycler is the better option.

• equinox_grow
    14 years ago

Not to mention the aluminum deck is a lot better and will last longer than a steel one.

• tomplum
    14 years ago

This spring I am finding a plethora of standard recyclers that Toro never lubed the clutches or wheels. I liked the anti seize that they switched to a while ago, but apparently air is better. It's nice to see they use standard plastic wheels on the non drive (no bushing) on some now too. I would have to say Super Recyclers are still top notch. The bank account says no, then buy the basic Honda...

• roadbike
    14 years ago

"in Consumer Reports?"
    ???

"I just received the May '09 issue with the Lawn mower ratings. Honda HRX2172 is still #1 and the Toro Recycler 20333 is #2. Three of the top ten are the regular recycler models but they don't list the super recyclers in the ratings at all."

Well, did you consider that possibly they didn't test the Super Recyclers? The absence of a model from a test doesn't say anything about it's quality. If CR did a test of family sedans would the absence of the Mercedes S sedan mean that it failed?

The equipment included in CR tests tends to be weighted toward the middle to lower-middle price range. The initialk purchase price weighs considerably in their ratings. Also noteworthy is that CR cannot really test longevity of components. And longevity of non-engine components is the very reason that some owners are willing to pay a little more for the Super Recycler.

It may be my browser, but the Honda HRX2172 is not coming up.

• purple-eagle
    14 years ago

Where do you live that they have leftover 20068 mowers? I would like to get one myself.

• the_drake
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got the 20068 at a Long Island HD for 399. They only had 3 left when I bought mine. I will be returning it though to get a SR model.

• sseligson
    14 years ago

Drake,
    Where in Long Island did you get the 20068 for $399? I am looking for one?

• the_drake
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sseligson, I bought and returned the 20068 to the HD in setauket last month. I doubt that they still have it. I got the 20092 for 499 at seven gables in commack. The sr4 mulches like a sob. I luv it.

• trelain
    14 years ago

I just want to say I went through hell trying to find a decent self propelled, mulching mower after my 11-year old Craftsman finally died. It was a very reliable mower, but didn't cut very even and was a mediocre mulcher. It seems the newer mowers are all about bells & whistle features when all I required was an even cut, and good mulching, and a reasonable self-propelled drive. My neighbor has an older John Deere that he loves, but the new ones suck because they sold off the line to some lower quality process, or so I've heard and read. So I started with the Toro Recycler 20334 from HD, and it seemed to mulch ok until I pulled it backwards over the grass to cut (which is a common move while mowing in a confined or irregular shaped area) and saw it clumping when the grass wasn't even very tall. My crap Craftsman out did that, so back to the store and traded it in and upgraded (+$100) for a Honda HRR216VXA. Well that one seemed more solid and the motor had a nice dependable sound to it, BUT 1) engaging the blade killed the motor at least once, and 2) the bagging chamber behind the mulch plug collected way too much grass due to a poorly designed mulch plug that doesn't fit snugly. I even called Honda to see if they knew anything, and of course they acted like it was supposed to be that way. Right. Also it left a small trail of grass behind the right rear wheel when mulching which I wonder if the gaping hole around the mulch plug could somehow be contributing to that, who knows. Either way I wasn't satisfied with that Honda either so I cleaned it up and returned it for a refund and went to Westlake Hardware and for an extra $30 bought a 20092 Toro Super Recycler because I read the Supers have a better mulching system than the regular Recyclers. Well I can finally say it does surpass both of the other mowers I had and I am very satsified with it. I imagine the high-end Honda is just as good but it's $200 more, which seems out of line for a walk-behind mower, also I heard Honda's parts are too high in cost. Also Toro is a U.S. company here in the Midwest which should help with price and availability in theory. Anyway that Super is a mulch monster, I really like it a lot. I don't know if the standard Recycler is some secondary line made just for HD, but it sucks compared to the Super, IMO.

• gregau33
    13 years ago

I bought the Toro Recycler (20330) from Home Depot ...and all I can say is that the mulching system flat out sucks. My previous mower was an older Troy-Bilt push mower with a Honda engine which would turn my grass clippings into almost dust. I compared my new Toro with each pass to my old Troy-Bilt (Honda engine), and it was night and day the difference between the mulching system. The Toro also had a much better torque system, but it did nothing to help the cut or anything else I could find. I have no idea how my old push mower would be a better mulcher, but is sure is.

I even returned my Toro Recycler(20330) to HD, and bought the high wheel Toro Recycler (20331) just to see if my previous purchase was a lemon. But no, it wasn't... the 20331 was just as bad of a mulcher as the 20330. I returned this one as well. I gave up on Toro, and bought a Honda HRR216VKA. Save your time and money, and do not buy any of the Toro Recycler's... you will not be satisfied. My Honda chops all of my grass into almost nothing. Great mower!

• gorper99
    13 years ago

I bought a Toro Recycler in 1999.Still starts on first pull and is the best mulcher I have had.You sound like you sell Hondas?

• roadbike
    13 years ago

"I bought the Toro Recycler (20330) from Home Depot ...and all I can say is that the mulching system flat out sucks. even returned my Toro Recycler(20330) to HD, and bought the high wheel Toro Recycler (20331) just to see if my previous purchase was a lemon."

First off, no mower will turn clippings into dust unless you are cutting dust. Second you provide no real information about the problem, only generalized complaining. Third you are comparing an inexpensive Toro mower with one that costs almost 40% more. You just throw money around right and left until the problem resolves!

But moving on to your mower choices, why would buying a mower with bigger wheels make any difference in mulching?? I think you make snap decisions without thinking about the problem at hand. Moderately priced mowers like the Recyclers will do a reasonably good job of mulching. Mowers that are priced a little more like the Toro Super Recyclers will do a much better job and use components that are more durable. You get what you pay for.

• gregau33
    13 years ago

Trust me, I wanted to like the two Toro's I bought, but the mulching feature on the two units I bought were horrible. They must have changed some things around with the newer models of the Toro's since you swear by yours. Trust me, if you bought a new one, and try to mulch your clippings, you will have to go back over your enitre yard with your blower.

I did like the Toro's 22" cut as well as the deck wash feature. If you like to bag your grass clippings, then I guess this mower is good. If you want to mulch, go buy somehting else.

I just have had good luck with Honda with my current mower. I'm not endorsing Honda, I'm just telling consumers to think twice about buying the current generation Toro recycler models. That, or when they buy the new Toro's they need to try a different blade if they are looking to mulch.

Sorry to rant, but as a consumer, I would want to hear others opinions.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

The 20330 is an entry level Toro mower - little comparison to mine. However with a little thought as you are mowing almost any mower can be made to do a good job.