Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenmc5

Question on Toro Commercial and Heavy Duty recycling performance

kenmc5
12 years ago

Do the Toro commercial and heavy duty models provide the same recycling performance as the home owner SR models (atomic blade and deck kickers)?

I mulch about 90% of the time and looking for a mower that will last and will be loaded up in a truck several times a year for use on multiple lawns. Based on several threads on this forum I'd like to try a Super Recycler model, however may splurge for a heavier duty model. I wondered if the commercial models mulched as well as the home owner models?

From the web site the commercial models look like a heavier duty model of the SR. Thx in advance, Ken

Comments (11)

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

There is a mistake on the Toro site in the comparison download on the commercials. It says the 22156 has the Honda GXV190. It actually has the GSV190 which is the OHC commercial-duty engine. There is no GXV190 - the GXV is a 160. Anyway, it sure sounds like you want the Recycler Commercial 22197 (180cc Kawasaki engine). However, I can vouch for the 22156 as probably the best all-around mower now made, but it will 'push' clippings when mulching and drop them at the stop/turnaround. I just cut a 3-wide header all around which gives it time to digest the clippings before the turnaround. I don't actually have a 22156 - I have the 22271, which was the Lawn-Boy original version of this machine, identical in every detail to the 22156 except in paint colors. The GSV 190 is a great engine with absolutely no quirks of any kind. It has a HD cam cover, iron cylinder sleeve, 'Dua-Lube' oil system, quiet muffler and a huge ball-bearing crankshaft.
    The deck is the cast aluminum hi-dome design from the LB 'Insight' Series, and it has the steel wheels with sealed bearings.

Here is a link that might be useful: GSV190 Details

• kenmc5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Saxman for the details and your review on Toros commercial model with the Honda 190.

I just found Toros comparison link on their heavy duty vs. commercial models. Now I need to ponder some more and may drive for about an hour and look at some of these models. We don't have commercial dealers that close but my local dealer will order. The Commercial models look pretty slick at 82-87 lbs and offer a push model . The Heavy Duty appears to have the recycler deck. I'm not a perfectionist but would like to improve my mulching cut a bit, and, I go through a set of aftermarket bearing wheels about every other year with a LB 10247.

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

That's why I said the 22197 first, because it has the big Kawasaki engine, mulching deck with internal interruptors and the sealed BB wheels. Based on your current wheel life, I'd say you should have a full commercial mower, and the cost will be justified. I think the Kawa engine has oil pressure too, but check on that.

• kenmc5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Saxman for all your feedback. Got my interest going for more research and questions. I also want to find a dealer where I can check one out.

I think the Heavy Duty models are a bit more than I really need especially if I keep my LB for tough areas. After a significant amount reading on the internet sounds like the Toro SR is a great recycler especially if you are keeping up with the growth. I am also looking at a Toro 22155 with the 8 in wheels and high dome deck. The 22156 (or LB version) has good reviews from this site and commercial cutters.

I've never had a self propelled mower. My side yard is narrow and when I mow east/west I push forward and pull backwards. My yard is flat. I don't think I've had an 83lb mower before. My LB weighs 70 lbs and I have no problem pushing it as my yard is flat. I would think with 8 inch bearing wheels it would not be bad.
    I am still pondering a Toro SP vs. push and my question is, if I went with a Toro self propelled personal pace (SR) or a variable speed (SR or commercial), is there a difference between the 2 drives if you want to push/pull the mower for a section of lawn? If you manually push/pull is there more resistance on the SP drive wheels? Any chance on damaging the drive when manually pushing/pulling?

Thanks in advance, Ken

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

There are misconceptions in your post. The 22155 and 22156 are the same Toro Commercial mower except I think the 22155 is CARB compliant. The 22156 has a manual choke/throttle which is to me a better set-up. They both have steel, ball-bearing wheels. The original Lawn-Boy version was the 22271, and it is exactly like the 22156 Toro. They all have Toro 'Variable Speed' drive which is my favorite. When you let go of the bail, it instantly becomes a push mower with no extra drag. The same cannot be said for 'Personal Pace' which is a nightmare in close-quarter push/pull situations. PP is otherwise a dream drive system, matching your walking speed effortlessly. Just don't try to pull it back without doing the required 'forward coast' to disengage it. Then, when you push it forward again, it re-engages, and so-forth. It will drive you nuts in certain situations. I had to get rid of a great LB 10550 because of PP. I could not be happier with the Variable Speed drive. For all practical purposes it is Personal Pace but with a control bail for ultimate control.
    You won't damage either drive by pulling it backwards, but with these heavier machines I think you'll quickly find a way to cut it moving forward.

• kenmc5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Saxman that is great feedback. If you hit the compare options the 22155 is a push at 83 lbs. Only 4 more lbs. gets you the self propelled. I just found out this w/e my local hardware can only sell and warrantee the home owner models but the entry level SR is variable speed.
    How is the LB version of the 22156 for mulching leaves? My LB is great but the best leaf mulch is walking it backwards. I think the flap in the back flips the leaves up for one more round.
    I realized I need to change my habits this weekend when I noticed how much I pull backwards for a change of pace. This is probably a habit started as kid from years of push/pulling side discharged mowers keeping the discharge in the same direction.

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

The 22156/22271 comes with a bagging/mulching blade. There is also another number for the same blade but with mulching cuts in the airfoils. Actually, I have both types but it doesn't seem to matter which is on it for mulching or bagging. In fact, I'll mulch leaves on the lawn then put the bag on and pick up the excess, all with either blade. This mower mulches fine. With any mulching mower, you have to be aware of grass height, density and moisture before you decide that a certain mower does or doesn't mulch well. My rule is, if the wheels look wet, it's too wet to mulch. I'll discharge and come back later and bag (or mulch) after it dries some.

The 'solid' blade is 108-3759-03. The 'Atomic' version is 108-0954-03.

• kenmc5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Saxman for all the details on the Toro 22156. That looks like a great all around solid built versatile mower. I'm going to try and find one in stock somewhere.

I agree on the mulching. Hard to expect a good mulch cut on any mower if the grass is too wet or too long. I do mulch wet long grass and it requires some or all of the following; overlap cuts, 2nd cut (even better if pulling backwards), sharp blade, scraping 20 pounds of grass from under the deck, and picking up a few globs of grass that are builds on the wheels. There are several threads on the commercial sites for best 21 inch mulch and many different opinions.

For my LB, I think the grass mulched is finer with a gator blade but at the cost of a rougher cut and a few un cut stragglers. The original blade and top plate gives more of a flat top cut but leaves more strands of once cut grass on top. Both mulch better at 2.5 inches than at 3 inches but I choose the 3 inch setting after the first few cuts of the season. I don't think anybody but me even notices the difference.

Where I see the biggest difference is in mulching leaves. I only mulch dry leaves. The gator definitely chops the leaves finer. I have done comparisons using sharp blades.

• shaggnasty
    12 years ago

Sax, does Toro make a variable drive (non PP) mower in their line of home mowers? I like the Toro but don't care for Personal Pace. I see they have some cheaper front drive mowers, but that's not what I'm looking for either.

• kaptainkr
    12 years ago

I've followed this thread off and on and would also suggest you look at the Toro Super Bagger model, especially if you're looking at the Super Recycler. It looks like it has the same deck design as the commercial line, but comes with the Honda 160 engine and different wheels. I replaced an older Super Recycler with this one and am very happy. It mulches nicely and the motor seems to have plenty of power. Since it's brand new, I cannot comment on durability. If I remember correctly, the Super Bagger is similar to a line of Lawn Boys that were well regarded.

• kenmc5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

On Toro's web site the 20380 model Super Recycler/Bagger has the variable drive. I have not seen one in person yet and I want to check out SRs /Commercial /Heavy duty before the season is over.
    I happen to pick up a used Snapper Hi-Vac w/ Intek on the way home from work for 80.00. The previous owner bought this mower new and took excellent care of this mower. He had purchased a new Honda for easier starting. This mower seems to run very smooth at 3400 RPMs, but it is a beast compared to anything I've ever used. It will give me a chance check out a heavier SP mower and compare mulching with a different mower. I need to change the oil and sharpen the bagging and ninja blades before use.
    Thanks, Ken