Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
General questions about Toro 20684 (2 Cycle Suzuki)

Posted by chesapeakebeach (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 14:17

My 1988 Toro 20684 with the 2 cycle Suzuki that I got as a curbside throwaway is now up and running (fresh gas, replaced fall-apart-in-your-hand fuel line, replaced fall-apart-in-your-hand air filter, new spark plug, new spark plug boot, new fuel filter, rinsed crud out of carb bowl).

Anything special to know about care and feeding of this beast? I took the muffler off and there's some, but not a lot of carbon and gunk in the header. If I decide to clean the insides of the muffler, what chemical or detergent do I use? I see in the maintenance book that Toro recommends using a wooden scraper and not something sharp for carbon removal (sounds like a good idea to me). Is this even needed if the engine seems to be running well?

The rear wheel liners look like they were fabricated out of large soup can lids -- could that be the case or do they come like that?

When the mower's running on fast without the blade or wheels engaged, it sounds like it's overspeeding -- should that be a concern? And when I pull back the throttle, the engine dies with about 1/3 of the distance to "stop" left to go. Again, normal?

One thing I found was that replacing the air filter made the engine idle a lot more smoothly -- fewer RPM ups and downs.

Will sharpen the blade when time permits and take the mower for another test mow.

Thanks for any and all feedback and thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: General questions about Toro 20684 (2 Cycle Suzuki)

Sounds like the throttle cable needs an adjustment.

o

I got a season or 2 from a dumpster Suzuki 2 stroke 20684 and then moved up to a 77 IH Cadet 80 sitdown. Long enough to know that it was nice mower. This summer, I rescued a 'Zuki 4 stroke Toro. Its a jewel.

o

Are you ingterested in selling your Toro 20684 nmower? I need it for parts.

Many thanks.

Don
Marietta, Ga.

crickeydog@bellsouth.net

o

Wabbout shipping? It is in rough shape, but except for the carb linkage, intact.

o

take a propane tourch to the muffler to burn out carbon but its seldom an issue with this engine

o
RE: Carb issues Toro 20684

I picked up a 2 stroke toro 20684 at a yard sale, not running. I disassembeled carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner, put it all back together, and it will only run so long as one sprays gas into carb. Carb is getting fuel, and float and jet appear to work. Anyone got a clue? Clearly gas is not being imported into engine from carb. Compression feels fine. Do I need new carb gaskets to improve vacume? This is selfpropelled and im getting to old to push my lawn boy. Welcome all responses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here