Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chesapeakebeach

General questions about Toro 20684 (2 Cycle Suzuki)

chesapeakebeach
13 years ago

My 1988 Toro 20684 with the 2 cycle Suzuki that I got as a curbside throwaway is now up and running (fresh gas, replaced fall-apart-in-your-hand fuel line, replaced fall-apart-in-your-hand air filter, new spark plug, new spark plug boot, new fuel filter, rinsed crud out of carb bowl).

Anything special to know about care and feeding of this beast? I took the muffler off and there's some, but not a lot of carbon and gunk in the header. If I decide to clean the insides of the muffler, what chemical or detergent do I use? I see in the maintenance book that Toro recommends using a wooden scraper and not something sharp for carbon removal (sounds like a good idea to me). Is this even needed if the engine seems to be running well?

The rear wheel liners look like they were fabricated out of large soup can lids -- could that be the case or do they come like that?

When the mower's running on fast without the blade or wheels engaged, it sounds like it's overspeeding -- should that be a concern? And when I pull back the throttle, the engine dies with about 1/3 of the distance to "stop" left to go. Again, normal?

One thing I found was that replacing the air filter made the engine idle a lot more smoothly -- fewer RPM ups and downs.

Will sharpen the blade when time permits and take the mower for another test mow.

Thanks for any and all feedback and thoughts.

Comments (6)