Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman broken hood

Posted by air_raider z7 sc (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 29, 10 at 14:50

The hood on my Craftsman LT2000 died. It just broke off where it attached and fell to the ground. Nothing seemed wrong before that so I was surprised. I gathered the broken parts but see little hope in fixing it. I was thinking of trying epoxy and metal straps with bolts but was wondering if anyone ever had luck with this type of repair? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman broken hood

I'm not clear what broke and where it broke and how many pieces there are. If it's a hinge on the hood or the body that's a high stress point and super glue or something similar may not hold. It's worth a try though.

Given your description of seemingly many broken parts and seeing little hope of repair, rhy not just order a new one from Sears?

o

Thanks, There are only 2 large parts and 1 small part where it bolts to the large piece that swivels from the frame. I would order a new hood $200 but I'm getting a great deal on a JD 430 and need money for it.However, I don't want the ol mower to rust away.
One thing I forgopt to ask is: can I use it the way it is for short amounts of time ?

o

No reason it can't used unless the hood contributes to the flow of air over the motor. That's inlikely, but you should investigate. If it had headlights they obviously won't work. Just use common sense around exposed moving parts and it should be fine.

o

That seems reasonable. I was wondering if the hood controlled engine temp. Will keep on using it for now. Thanks

o

Unless it is a liquid cooled engine you should have a crankshaft driven fan blowing air through a shroud across the head and cylinder(s).

o

Yeah I repaired the hood with sheet metal and bolts. It lasted for several yrs. I keep the mower in a shed, so it doesnt really need a hood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here