Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forager1945

lawn mower repair (mower won't move after changing V-belt

forager1945
11 years ago

I am very inexperienced with mechanical repair. Although this is probably a general mower question, the mower is question is a Troy-bilt 34044 (recoil start) lawn mower.

I changed the vbelt, wrapping it properly around the pulleys, as shown in the manual. When I engage the "Blade Drive Control", the belt tightens. When I disengage, the belt loosens.

The Problem: The motor starts, idling smoothly. After I set the gear level to move forward and then squeeze the "Wheel Drive Control" (what I would have called the "throttle"), there is no resistance as I squeeze, and the mower does not move.

However, if I squeeze the "Wheel Drive Control" (throttle?)without squeezing the upper "Operator Presence Control" lever, which is directly above, then there is resistance on the "Wheel Drive Control", though the mower still does not move.

After eyeballing the equipment and searching the manual, I cannot find a clear connection (spring, lever, etc.) that connects the two controls. As a rookie, I had some difficulty removing the old belt and may have jostled (disconnected?) something. I'm certain that I caused the problem, as I drove the mower to the garage to tend to the broken v belt.

I've adusted the threaded rods, as suggested by the manual, but no change in resistance on the "Wheel Drive Control" level.

Comments (3)