Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mower Help (choice)

Posted by baccalynnwv 5b West Virginia (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 15:07

Hello,

I am in the market for my very first riding lawnmower. I am only able to spend around $1,000 - maybe a tad bit more.

I only have a couple of acres to mow around my home but my yard is very rocky with slight slopes here and there. The rocky situation is getting better over the years as the kids and I keep picking up the big ones and transporting somewhere else, and every year I have more grass and top soil. (It has taken me 4 years to have enough soil that worms felt happy enough to live around my home. LOL)

My property was given to me by family and at some point in its history was strip mined.

Anyway, I've read reviews on the 42" cut Pony by Troy from Lowes. They were not encouraging. So, what are my other optoins for a good mower? I only have Wal-Mart, Lowes, and Tractor Supply within 45 minutes of my home and would rather buy at one of those stores than have to travel much farther.

Thanks for the opinions.

These pictures were taken a few years ago. There is a litte bit more soil and grass now.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mower Help (choice)

You will need more than a $1000 mower for your property. 1K today is considered super entry level, adequate for 1/4 acre super flat, super clean grass.

o
RE: Mower Help (choice)

Yeah. I kind of figured thats what I was going to read.

I may not be able to mow grass this year. LOL

We had been using a trailmower type thing but it doesn't want to work regularly. Plus, I hate using it and wanted something a little more simple.

I'll just keep saving the money till I can buy a more expensive one.

So, money aside - what would be good for a couple acres, rocky and uneven ground?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here