Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wxman81

Weed Eater Lawn Mower Problem

wxman81
15 years ago

I've been having problems with my weed eater lawn mower. It has a briggs and stratton engine. The problem is when its running it keeps missing and I can occasionally smell gas. It gets up to full speed when first started, then the missing starts. Here is what I did to try to fix the problem:

1) Replace spark plug.

2) Replace throttle springs.

3) Replace oil.

4) Replace all gas in tank.

Any advice on what might be wrong? I'm scratching my head. All repair shops want to charge as much as the mower is worth.

Thanks.

Comments (19)

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

Post the engine Model & Type numbers so we know WHICH Briggs you have.

• wxman81
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, here's the numbers:

Weed Eater product number: 961140002
    Weed Eater serial number: 112204001556

Engine hp: 3.75
    Engine model: 9L902
    Engine type: 0305 E1
    Engine code: 04111851

Thanks.

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

Replace the diaphragm & gasket on the carb mounting.
    PN 495770. $3.05
    Make sure you replace in the correct orientation.
    While the carb is off, clean any pick up tubes/screens with carb cleaner.
    A whole new carb is only $22.10 according to the Briggs website. PN 795477

I don't understand the gas smell though, considering the way the carb is mounted. Is it snug to the tank?
    Are you getting black smoke when it misses?

• lbservicetech
    15 years ago

Check the carburetor body to see if the surface that holds the diaphragm in place is warped at all - if so, only replacing the diaphragm may give you the same problem as the carb body will not hold the diaphragm securely in place.

The gasoline smell would be from your current diaphraghm/gasket not being sealed 100% between the fuel tank and carb body, and this will also throw off your air/fuel mix and cause it to run rich (hence the smoking/rough running).

• jmsoffhs
    15 years ago

i have a roybi weed eater not sure of the model are anything like that i have cleaned the muffler and attached it back to the weed eater and it will not start but when i take the muffler off it will start now here is the mystery i have tryed 3 new mufflers and still the same problem any suggestions?

• d99gr81
    15 years ago

Not sure why my message I posted the other day is not here. I had the same issue and its easy fix and you have to buy nothing. Just take off the fuel filter (one flat head screw) which is the black compartment above the primer button. Take that off open it up and clean off the sponges with your fingers. I garuantee you have those caked with dirt. do not use water... use your finger and compressed air. There will be 4 or five wholes with sponge in them. This needs to be clea for the gas to sift through.

• fix_it
    15 years ago

That's not the fuel filter. That is the air filter. And you can clean it with soap and water. Make sure to oil it with a little clean engine oil afterwards. Yes, this will make it run bad.

• brandynford_hotmail_com
    14 years ago

I have a homelite weed eater and it doesnt run as fast as it should.I cleaned out the carb and it didnt help. what should i do?

• jnkabol_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

regarding your weedeater lawn mower..

im having this issue and have to recondition my mower--same model--this weekend and someone posted this on some forum i looked through this past afternoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nzigcNTwo&feature=related

this dude's pretty cool, he replaced the diaphragm while holding a camera the entire time.

Here is a link that might be useful: guy replacing the diafragm of his weedeater briggs and stratton mower

• rhonda-67_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

recoil on my lawn mower doesnt wind back up. Does anyone know how to fix this? Getting tired of having to wind it up manually before using. Thanks in advance.

• williambarlow1_aol_com
    12 years ago

I've got a Weedeater lawn mower model# 96114001400. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine model# 9S5021019B1. It would start and then die. I took the carb apart and cleaned it. No help. Changed the fuel and cleaned out the tank. No help. Finally. I removed the cable on the handle that kills the engine when released. Now the engine starts easy and runs again, however it has a bad miss. I'm thinking it could possibly be the carb diaphram, as I did not use a new one. The old one looks good, although I realize this may not necessarily be correct.
    I've tried to find a parts diagram on this particular model but have not been able too. Does this engine have points or a condensor? One friend told me it doesn't and another said it does. If it does I need the part number(s). Thanks

• stank2_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I just bought a weedeater lawnmower from Home
    Depot with a Briggs and Stratton engine. I got the lawn mower started, but can't get it to go forward or reverse. I'm sure the solution is easy, but I can't figure it out.

• cbannert_telus_net
    12 years ago

Today we have started our 21" 550 series 158 cc lawn mower for the first time. It started to surge right away and then started to run smoothly but then started to surge again. What is the cause and how do we fix it?

• McArthurdw
    10 years ago

I have a new 22" WeedEater Mower, 3 months old, used about 3 times. Piece of junk will not start now. It has gas, oil level is good, I cleaned the air filter but nothing. This thing is clearly a lemon. What a waste of $250. I for one will never buy another weedeater product. Thankfully I bought a used Honda mower at a yard sale a moth ago, the thing is 7 years old, starts on the first pull and mows like a champ.

• kelly leonard
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

reedrichards43 did you ever figure out the priming issue?? I have the exact same problem, it'll run after a few mins then it starts to die, then I'll prime it til stays running good, and then it'll do it over and over, very frustrating, please help, it's a 20 in weedeater brand puch mower.about 7 years old, it started doing this last fall.

• Tracy Webb
    4 years ago

Sounds like it's going to stall when I'm mowing. Please help. Thank you

• HU-774151267
    4 years ago

hi, you say it sounds like it's going to stall, does it die? or does it just bog down but stay running? tall grass, short. what make/model mower?

• Carter Anderson
    9 months ago

I have a 20” cut 4.5HP weedeater lawn mower and when i shut it off i hear a loud screeching noise i tried changing oil but does anybody know what is wrong and how to fix it?