Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
one_hundred80

Honda lawn mower Smart Drive

one_hundred80
14 years ago

I had a Honda 214SX for nearly 25 years and I replaced it when the deck rusted out. Big mistake. I replaced it with a Honda HRR2166VKC which has Smart Drive.

Smart Drive should be called Dumb Drive as it is totally useless.

The two speeds on the old machine was far far superior, I have touted Honda lawn mowers as a good buy, but they may be OK but the variable speed drive is useless and hard to control as well as making your thumbs sore.

The machine is hard rto control as it either seems to lack speed or leeps forward like a greyhound.

As you can see I think the Smart Drive is rubbish, two thumbs down literally.

Comments (4)

• canguy
    14 years ago

Having a bad day bunky? It does take getting used to, there is a lighter return spring available. Are you setting the thumb paddles to a comfortable height?

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

My brother in law (a landscaper with loads of professional commercial equipment) picked up a recon Honda at Home Depot to try out for his small yard. He LOVES it. He says it works better than my Personal Pace. Well, my Pace is getting old 10+ years I think and I may consider the Honda so I'd like to hear some more opinions. I have heard that Hondas are very fussy or have some issue with something getting clogged and the dealers and Honda blaming the gas....?

Anyway, looking for comparisions on the operability as compared to the Pace....

• Avery70815
    12 years ago

I was given a Honda 214SX several years ago and it works great and still starts on the first pull. All I do is change the oil and filter each spring. Recently, I heard an intermittent squeaking sound when the gear is engaged. I have sprayed WD40 on the rear wheel axles but I think the noise is coming from the differential. The owners manual does not list any lubrication schedule for this part and I do not see any grease fittings. Should this taken apart and greased or just oiled from both sides?

• roadbike
    12 years ago

"I had a Honda 214SX for nearly 25 years and I replaced it when the deck rusted out. Big mistake. I replaced it with a Honda HRR2166VKC which has Smart Drive."

It was a big mistake to replace a mower having a rusted out deck with a new one????? You had a fundamental safety problem with the old one.

That said, it takes time for anyone to get used to a new tool where it's operation becomes second nature. When I went from a Toro single speed front wheel drive to a Toro Super Recycler Personal Pace there was definitely a learning curve to go over. Honda Smart Drive slips a cone clutch to vary speed much like the centrifugal clutch found on go karts is slipped. The end result is essentially the same as what Toro does with their Personal Pace. Just think through what needs to be done, relax and it will become second nature.

A lighter spring is certainly an option, but just think of this as an opportunity to put some meat on those thumbs!