Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn Mower Blade stuck!

Posted by kevingalaxy (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 16:10

Hi, i have a craftsman 22 inch mulching mower, the nut just wont come off, ive tried wd-40, wrenches, the manual says turn it counter clockwise? Does this sound right maybe they got it wrong? Should i buy an impact wrench and try and get it off? Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn Mower Blade stuck!

Take the spark plug wire off the plug and ground it. Turn the mower up on it's side with the carburetor on the high side. Take a piece of wood and block the blade - sometimes you have to hold the wood block by standing on it. Using a long ratchet handle or breaker bar, put your weight on it and break the nut loose. Yes, counter-clockwise is right (also 'lefty-loosey, righty tighty').

o

I just went through this recently.I let pb blaster(wd40 but better),let it sit for 24 hours or so,really soak it in.

Then I used a breaker bar as saxman said and it broke loose.You need more leverage and just soak the hell out of the nut.

o

Also, a 6-point socket, or end wrench.
Don't even think of using a crescent wrench.
Also, warm it up the nut a 'little' with your propane
torch, but not too much as you might damage
the lower engine seal.

o

If you don't have a breaker bar or a long ratchet handle take a regular ratchet hand and put a long pipe over it for leverage - worked for me and of course following all the safety precautions above.

o

I always use a pipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here