Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whizzer75

Lawnboy 8238AE recoil starter

whizzer75
9 years ago

Recoil starter doesn't engage when engine is cold. Start with electric starter and warm up and recoil starter works fine.
Helix and gear look dirty and greasy. Heat probably loosens them up where they work.
What would be safe to spray clean these parts with out dismantling?
I'm getting too old to be tearing things apart :)

Comments (10)

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

I use WD-40 as a degreaser. (never as a lube because there are far better products for that)

After you get it clean, you might use a Silicon spray type lube.

• whizzer75
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I failed to mention that Lawnboy manual says keep these parts clean and dry and do not oil.
    Wonder if brake cleaner is safe for plastic (delrin?) parts?

• hippy
    9 years ago

Do not use brake cleaner on the plastic parts.
    Brake Parts Cleaner will destroy them.
    Taking the starter apart and cleaning it with good old hot water,Dawn dish soap and an old tooth brush works better.
    Do not use any type of oil based products to lube the parts.
    Use something like Graphite Powdered Lube. Much slicker than something like WD40 and it does not attract dirt and gunk.

• 1saxman
    9 years ago

You'll have to at least take loose the shroud that contains the starter to get to the recoil spring and pawls. Your problem is the pawls are stuck with old grease and grime so they don't grab the indentations on the flywheel hub when you pull the cord. You can get a can of 'paint and plastics safe' CRC Electronic Parts Cleaner at the auto supply along with the little tube of powdered graphite. Each pawl has a little spring behind it. If you're lucky it will work after the clean/lube.
    I couldn't find any drawings on that model. You can determine what you have to take off. Sometimes a recoil assembly has its own screws, but most of the time they're riveted to the air shroud. You may have to drain the fuel tank and remove the tank shroud to get to the air shroud then remove that to get to it.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Saxman1
    The 8238AE Lawnboys were just built between 1979 and 1982.

The AE designates that it has an F141AE Engine (electric starter).

The electric and recoil starters are combined into one unit.

In simple words. The Recoil starter parts are attached to the end of the Electric starter. The pull starter gear pawl is Vertical and the teeth on the flywheel are around the bottom of it.

• 1saxman
    9 years ago

Wow. That's a different deal for sure.

• hippy
    9 years ago

LOL.

One of the weirdest set ups I have ever ran across.

Here is a photo of one.

• whizzer75
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Removed the shroud yesterday and slowly pulled the starter rope. Something is dragging and making noise. Recoil is slower than normal.
    The only thing I can't see is the spring so I'm guessing it's a spring problem.
    Started with the electric and cut front yard. After use the pull started engaged and recoiled normally.
    Ordered a new spring. When I get it installed I'll report what I find inside.
    Still not too shabby for a 34 year old mower I bought new in 1980.

• 1saxman
    9 years ago

Wow. Good old Lawn-Boy engineering. You might find that the spring is okay, just gummed-up. However, since you have to take it apart anyway, installing the new spring is a good idea. You might get 30 more years out of it.

• whizzer75
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update.
    Found old spring was set and clutch face had greasy dirt on it.
    Cleaned clutch assembly and installed new recoil spring. Pull starter now engages but not every time at beginning of pull. Sometimes have to pull rope halfway out before it engages.
    Something still not quite right.
    I can't see what makes the pull starter engage other than friction clutch.
    BTW, it started on second pull.
    Any old Lawnboy experts have an opinion?