Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honda HRS21 won't stop!!

Posted by paclockman (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 16:37

Hello all,

I have a Honda HRS21 mower that for it's age (1983) runs great, my problem is stopping it. This model has a flywheel brake system. I replaced the cable which controls the brake but the lever that attaches to a large spring under the deck doesn't move. Is there a way to adjust or loosen up this lever/spring? For now I just manually move the lever away from the switch to shut off the mower. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honda HRS21 won't stop!!

Are you maybe confusing the spring for a blade clutch?

o

Possibly. The cable was frozen, that's why I replaced it but it appears that the flywheel brake is also frozen. I can't get the small lever that is mounted on top of it to move at all. (It looks like a large coiled spring and is located under the deck and above the flywheel- this model has the flywheel mounted under the engine).

o

tomplum,
This mower doesn't have a blade clutch...it has a flywheel brake that stops the engine when a bar on the handle is released. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

o

Two years later and I'm still interested in getting my Honda going (or should I say, stopping) again. Does anyone have information on replacing the flywheel brake! I hate to give up on this mower - still going strong after 31 years.

o

I can't say that I've had the pleasure. If you look up the model at boats.net, they show the brake assy in with the cylinder description. At least that will give you an idea on what components are involved. Rusted up maybe?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here