Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas in my engine oil

Posted by binkii70 WI (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 8, 12 at 16:52

John Deere GT 225 riding lawn mower but has Kohler engine. I've got gas in my engine oil. I'm going to drain it to see what's what but don't know. If anyone has suggestions please help, thanks! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas in my engine oil

The needle/seat assembly in the carburetor is leaking .

Fuel floods into the cylinder and seeps past the piston(s) and into the crankcase, draining the tank.

Carb needs to be repaired and someone will suggest installing an inline fuel shutoff.

The problem typically happens when a tiny piece of "crud" gets flushed down the fuel line.
It's too big to get past the needle/seat, but lodges in there and prevents the needle from sealing off the fuel flow. (similar to a toilet tank)

Often happens when changing a fuel filter. A piece of crud "flakes off" and if you don't purge the line......

o

he on the money

o

Yep, fix it immediately, unless you like the sound of fireworks, as that is what you will hear--a big "BANG", and then no sounds from the engine, except for a clunking, clanging sound, and no work done ever again by that engine. You will probably be able to look intto the block and see the damage, with no disassembly required! BT/DT/RJ
I picked a brand new chipper out of the garbage one morning, that had a block inspection hole in it. And, some connecting rod pieces fell out of it.
Upon further inspection, i found no traces of oil ever having been in it!
I surmised that the guy bought it brand new, brought it home, and in his fervor to try it out, installed the gasoline, but no oil! BANG!
A hardware store owner gave me a new power mower that he had sold to a man, who promptly brought it back, complaining that the oil was "watery". The store man couldn't resell it, so i got it. Took it home, installed new oil and fuel, and it started and ran well. I sold it, and kept track of it. It was looking rather ratty after 10 years of use, but i resold it for $25, just last year.
RJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here