Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Troy-Bilt pull cord question

Posted by shuffles 9B (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 17:19

I just bought a used Troy-Bilt Z-Start 21" self-propelled mower. The pull cord handle is at/on the engine and engages in about 9". There is a ring on the handle close to the dead man switch where most Troy-Bilts have the pull cord handle located - about three feet from the engine. My question is, will I have to put on a longer cord if I want to relocate the pull cord handle near the dead man? I am hoping it was just assembled incorrectly, but when the cord engages 9" from the engine, it makes me wonder. Due to advanced age, I have no desire to tinker. The guy I bought it from had little mechanical knowledge and I had to walk him through cleaning out the varnish in the carb so it would start before I bought it. (He told me he hadn't run it in three years.) I didn't ask him if he assembled it. It was probably assembled at Lowe's, where he bought it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Troy-Bilt pull cord question

As it came from the factory, the cord would have been long enough. If it isn't, the proper thing to do would be to have a longer cord installed. We have all seen the guy that ties a piece of cord on to extend it and that may work too.

o
RE: Troy-Bilt pull cord question

The starter rope can be located in one of three places.
On the engine where the rope exist the starter housing. If you have this type and have slack in the cord. You can simply pull out the excess plus two inches and retie the rope in the handle and cut off the excess.

On the handle where the top section and bottom section are fastened together. The ring can be located on the bolt/hole nearest the engine.

Third it can have a ring for the rope about midway between the dead man handle and where the top and bottom sections of the handle are joined.

=======================

Pull the starter rope out all of the way and clamp a small pair of vise grips to the rope where it enters the starter housing. Then you can see how much excess rope you have. If it is about two feet longer than where the ring is located. Just place it in the ring and see how it works.

If the rope comes close to the ring. The rope may have broke at one time and the guy just retied the handle where it exited the housing.

With a dead man switch. 99% of starter ropes are located on the handle somewhere in easy reach of the switch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here