Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baymee

Lawnboy in great shape pulled from dumpster

baymee
14 years ago

21" allow deck, model 7024 Ser. 8010144

I haven't seen one like this before. Very simple machine. Any idea how old it is?

Comments (12)

• walt2002
    14 years ago

Common and desirable some call "Brick Top" made 1975 - 1977.

Walt Conner

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Walt. The owner told me to sell it for parts if I can't get it running.

• eric_2007
    14 years ago

I would not consider striping it for parts unless the engine was damaged from sraight gas, even then i would hesitate. I personally hate to see vintage lawn boys working fine but taken apart only to sell in pieces on e bay. Its a compete waste of a valuable item that only becomes harder and harder to find. Generaly issues with this mower include carbon on points if no spark which can be cleaned or replaced. Carb nozzle blocked from old fuel or primer pump not working due to wear on the rubber part of the primer. after you verify the mower has fresh fuel and spark at the plug tilt the mower part way so the carb side is upright and pump the primer. Verify fuel sprays out of the nozzle when priming. Having the mower tilted sideways uses gravity to have the full prime go in the engine block and helps start a engine thats been stored long term. If all else fails and give up let me know and we can work something out to have it shipped to me where it can continue on in life

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll keep you posted.

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Put a new plug in, added fuel and it started on the first pull. See video below. I forgot to turn the ignition switch on. The carb's air filter housing looks like it was burned and deformed by something. Can't seem to find any primer or choke anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLrY7ZzKHNU

• bigal_mo
    14 years ago

Turn the white knob to on - then push down a couple of times. There's your choke - at least on my slightly newer mag model.

• baymee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The dumpster divers want me to sell this Lawnboy on ebay. Do you think there are people interested in it for parts?

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

Posting a link is so easy, even a caveman could do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: 7024

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

I was a little concerned seeing no oil smoke in the video. Are you sure you have the right oil mix in it?

• baymee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is that what they call the "embedded" link?

I use 32:1 in everything.

• eric_2007
    13 years ago

The concern i have is the center part of the left side of the deck below your foot looks like it has alot of wear. The bottom edge of that area is extra thick since that is a major wear part but in the video is looks like someone used a grinder since is so worn. If that area is totally worn out i would be concerned about a major crack developing then deck is trash. Maybe it just apears that way in the picture. Also it apears the rope starter hesitates recoiling. Use wd40 in the spring area of the recoil for easy fix, or wind rope around pulley one turn tigher for more tention or disasemble and lube spring. Finally dont forget to use duct tape on the air filter cover

• baymee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't have the mower here anymore, but that wear point is definitely from mowing against an abrasive surface for many years.

They two brothers that want me to sell it on ebay just want to recoup the $20 I charged them to get it running, which amounted to changing the gas and pulling on the cord one time.

I'm not a Lawnboy fan, and I would just take the motor off and sell that, if it were up to me.